22 of 23 people found the following review helpful
A lot Better than I Feared,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: SimCity [PC Code - Origin] (Software Download)
I was one of EA’s biggest critics when they brought this game out last year with ‘small’ cities, the constant online requirement and the necessity to co-operate with others online annoyed me. I recently started re-playing simcity 4 but it kept crashing on windows 8.1. Then someone recommended Anno 2070, which is fine if you like water and a linear plot line, but it didn’t fill the craving. So I decided to take the plunge and purchase the basic game of SimCity 5. Best decision I ever made, yes EA are greedy (just look at Dungeon Keeper mobile for further proof), but they know how to make a good game that sucks you in and is very atmospheric. Here is what I found:
1. You can play solo, you just make your region private and build all the cities yourself. Or just invite your friends.
2. No server issues now, I was able to play whenever I wanted for as long as I wanted.
3. You will enjoy the cooperation between cities, and like me will probably want to coop after a bit.
4. Yes the cities aren’t huge, but then you specialise in one city and build another for different things. For instance you can have a university in one city that serves the region and mining in another city to serve the region. You can even have one large police station or fire service to serve the entire region, this frees up space in other cities.
5. There are regions where everyone has to cooperate to build a massive project, like a space station or international airport. This will take resources from all the cities so a lot of solo effort or team work required.
6. You can follow every sim and ask them for opinions. Responding to their requests appeals to the god like responsibility of being the mayor (in a God game).
I have now upgraded to the deluxe version, then I panicked when my city was attacked by a giant red Barney/Godzilla monster, only to laugh with relief when it devoured all my garbage before expiring. This game has some minor issues but they are overshadowed by the sheer quality, ingenuity and enjoyment of the game. If you liked the original series, or you’re a fan of building empires, this game is for you.
PC wise my pc is pretty new, with an average graphics card, 16GB RAM and running windows 8.1. Not sure how it will run on an older pc.