5.0 out of 5 stars A very welcome return to the past...., 15 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
I'll be honest. I bought this deluxe set (and that of Ommadawn) for the original mix version rather than for the 2010 mix version. On occasion I have recalled the utter enjoyment of listening to the original 1974 LP version of Hergest Ridge in my youth and wishing it were available on CD rather than that of the subsequent 1976 'Boxed' remix. There was something calming, sober, reflective, restorative and utterly beautiful about the original and subtle mix that was never in my opinion captured in the subsequent remix. I hear it now on CD for the first time in this deluxe edition and I am overjoyed. It is as I say utterly beautiful and moving, and for my part, is up there in the top 3 of Mike's works, with Ommadawn and Tubular Bells. If you have never heard this original 1974 mix - take the opportunity to now.

As for the 2010 mix. I agree with most comments here that it has been done well and gives a refreshing take on Hergest Ridge. All too often for me, remixes destroy the essence of the original work - but not so here. It brings to the fore detail in the work that is more laid back in the original mix. While for me it will never replace the original mix, and is surely not meant to?, I will nonetheless listen to it often.

Perhaps most surprising is the quality of the 1974 demo recordings. By their nature I assumed that they would only be appreciated by the die hard fan. Not so here. They are of a high quality both in terms of audio and mix. While clearly not the finished deal, the care in which they have been recorded, mixed and produced means (excepting some passages) they would not easily be identified as essays leading to the final work. Again, beautiful and a very pleasing and welcome listening experience.

As for the surround mix, I can't in fairness comment. I've never been a fan of surround mixed music and least of all that which was originally conceived and produced for stereo. It's a personal thing and certainly no reflection of this work.

You should buy this deluxe edition. It's superb value for money and I doubt you will be disappointed. Hopefully, like me, you will be delighted and experience again the joy of listening to this wonderful work as if for the first time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Sep 2010 14:05:18 BDT
Dapto says:
The comment on surround mixes is odd here given that Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn were both originally conceived and produced for surround. Sure it was Quad and not 5.1 back then, but Mike was thinking surround from the get go with these two albums.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2011 14:57:37 GMT
Savitaa says:
You said, "On occasion I have recalled the utter enjoyment of listening to the original 1974 LP version of Hergest Ridge" and I cannot agree more. For years I couldn't understand why Hergest Ridge didn't sound right anymore until I found out about the remix (sadly my original vinyl had long since got lost). I guess the old adage about fixing something that wasn't broken is appropriate here.

Posted on 9 May 2011 14:51:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 May 2011 14:52:08 BDT
Hoof Hearted says:
What a beautifully written review. I hope you don't mind if I bookmark this as an example of how English should be used.

Such a refreshing change from the mangling our language seems to get these days from the internet fraternity.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2012 15:10:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Mar 2012 15:11:01 GMT
doug says:
I agree, it is a very good review from someone who clearly loves this piece of music. I am waiting for delivery of Hergest ridge,(on vinyl) boxed set one worn out!

Posted on 27 Apr 2015 09:21:48 BDT
Thank you Robert for a great review, when HERGEST RIDGE came out I was 31, I still have It, It's In superb condition and playing well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›