4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but struggle to find a use for it, 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Hyundai MS01S Pocket Scan Silber Scanner (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm surprisingly impressed by this scanner. However, I am struggling to identify when I would use it.

It's long enough to scan an A4 page if you run it top to bottom in portrait orientation. That means it's too long to fit in your pocket, but short enough to go into a briefcase, laptop bag etc. It weighs next to nothing and comes with a pouch to keep it in. It also comes with a couple of batteries, but annoying it does NOT come with a microSD card, which is essential for its use. I bought the Sandisk Ultra 16GB Class 10 Micro SD Card with SD Adapter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007JTKKOG/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00) for this purpose, which may be slight overkill, but I plan to use that for other things too.

Getting the thing up and running is easy, once you have a microSD card. Note that you will need a pin too - a naff piece of design means that you need a pin to set the time and format the microSD card. Once that is done, you are ready to start scanning (you're supposed to calibrate the scanner first, but the small manual included didn't mention this so I didn't bother - it still works fine).

Scanning is trivial - press a button to specify JPG or PDF, press a button to specify resolution (high, middle or low), press the scan button, slowly move the scanner over whatever it is you want to scan, then press the scan button again. It's important to remember that the scanning occurs near one edge of the scanner, so do not stop scanning until that bit has passed over the image you want. The trick to getting a good scan is to ensure that whatever you are scanning is flat and does not move - sometimes easier said than done.

The scanned images are stored on the microSD card. Once you're ready to move them onto your computer, use the supplied USB cable to attach the scanner to your computer. It will install a driver if not already there, and then download the images. As easy as that.

Viewing the images on the computer, I really was not expecting the quality to be that great. However, it turns out to be surprisingly good. There's a piece of paper included for calibration, and a cleaning cloth to keep the scanner clean. Both should help keep the scan quality high.

The final bit included is Abbyy FineReader software, which is something I have used previously and uninstalled from my machine. It's OCR software for converting text in image form into actual text. As OCR software goes, it's not bad. I'm not a big fan of it though, as when I used it previously I ended up having to do lots of re-working of converted text. As I type quickly and accurately, it's quicker for me to re-type text than to use OCR software and re-work it afterwards.

So, this piece of kit does work, and it works well. But when am I going to use it? I have a flatbed scanner at home, I have serious scanners at work, and when out and about I use a digital camera or a smartphone for capturing images. Even at work, people often use their smartphones to capture images, with those images not being constrained to the size of an A4 piece of paper (often smartphones are used for capturing what is on whiteboards). So, when would I use this? I have no idea. I talked to a teacher friend about this - she could imagine having one tucked away in a drawer in her classroom, so that she could scan images without having to leave pupils unattended in her classroom. But for me, I struggle to find a use.

Recommended for those who have a use for it. Otherwise, it's a clever piece of kit that may not get much use - I suspect mine will join the small collection of other gadgets that are interesting but not used often.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]