VINE VOICEon 16 June 2013
I've had Canons for many years, Ixus's, a G10 and a D350, but I've never had a so-called travel zoom with a long lens. I normally prefer a brighter lens, having had an F2 until this, but the Digic 6 seems to be an improvement and goes some way to compensating for the necessarily less bright lens on this camera.

I've only used it a couple of times, so this is really just a quick initial review to kickstart this model. I debated between this, the SX 280, the S110 and the G15. I dropped the G15 because I really like having a 24 or 25mm lens and I thought I'd try the latest Digic 6 over the 5 on the undoubtedly superior but uninspiring S110. I can't see me using GPS or wifi, so that left the SX 270.

First of all, the blue is lovely, but that's not why I bought it, which was actually to try the big zoom. I'm pleased to say that it's at least as good as I had hoped. The flexibility of a 20x zoom is incredible, especially on a bright day, but I was a bit surprised that it actually takes the camera a few seconds to focus and stabilise at that range. Ideally you'd want to use even a mini-tripod at that range, especially in less bright conditions, but so far my handheld shots at 20x have been very impressive to me at least.

I've also used it quite a bit indoors with the warmer flash sync setting (I forget the name) and it seems as good as my Ixus with the F2 lens, although I've not done any outdoor lit building shots yet.

I'd read that the common Canon quirk of the flash popping up on switch-on didn't apply to this range, but unfortunately that only seems to apply when the camera is set to no flash. For anything else it pops up, but you get used to it,

The body is larger than an Ixus, but smaller than the S110, so a decent enough size if you don't have small hands. I bought a Lowepro Dashpoint 10 Bag for Camera - Slate Grey which fits perfectly, although it's a squeeze when I put a spare battery in. I decided to splash out and go for the original Canon Battery Pack NB-6L as a spare, as I was aware that this range would be relatively power-hungry (although not having a GPS means it shouldn't be as bad as the SX 280) and prior experience shows that non-original batteries simply don't last as long.

In summary, I'm impressed enough so far not to have any regrets, and really like the long zoom, but I'll update this review in a few weeks after it's had more serious and varied use.

Update 18/07/13 - I've now been on holiday with it and have taken around 1,500 shots and am very impressed with the picture quality. Even at 20x zoom, you can still get clear handheld photos, even from a wobbly boat. The only negative to my previous Ixus 210 with the F2 lens is that I can't get the same warm looking night-time shots of lit-up buildings, although the person-flash (???) setting still gives the same nice warm and bright background I had with the brighter lens. I probably just need to study it a bit more, though.

One new feature I particularly like is that you can adjust the power of the flash. This is very useful for daylight fill-in flash if the subject is a bit further away.
0Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?