VINE VOICEon 9 July 2010
In response to N Sayers negative review, I wouldn't argue with any of the points made, but would say that I don't think that this book is intended as a factual historical text on London, it is a softer retrospective on London and how it has changed in our life times, not just the buildings but the the feel and the pulse of the city, and how the constant flux of people create an ebb and flow which is the current of London.

Being originally from Camden myself, and knowing many of the haunts and one or two of the characters in book, it did set me thinking about how London has changed from when I was young up to the point I left in the early 90s and onto now, and how my life might have been different if I had stuck around.

Pretty thought provoking stuff, but I can understand that if you have no emotional attachment and are looking for a historical precis or a tourist guide then you may feel like you've picked up the wrong book.
What's this?