5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality and Value, 6 July 2012
This review is from: RHA MA450i Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought these because for ages I had been using my Seinnhieser HD 25s for everyday listening and I wanted something a little less expensive and large to carry around with me.

Straight out the box the first impressions are excellent, these are some beautiful earphones. The trumpet horn shaped ear-buds are well constructed and attractive, they're securely attached to the cable with some plastic wrap. The right hand ear line has the sleek in-line control which isn't too bulky or too hard to find making it very easy and organic to use. The left and right hand cables join at a little junction which has a sliding dongle on the top, this little widget helps to ensure a comfortable arrangement of the cables. The braided is also a big plus it looks nice, is hard to tangle and adds a real feel of luxury. My only downside here is the mini-jack connector, it's gold plated which is excellent, but the straight moulded casing feels a bit flimsy and like it might be the weak point where the connections could go after some wear, I would have liked to have seen a right angle jack.

One of the reasons I decided to get the RHA MA450i's was the inclusion of 7 different ear-bud fittings. I'm not normally a fan of intra-aural earphones as I cant find ones that i find comfortable, but with the selection of tips RHA supply I would challenge anyone not to find a comfortable set, from Kids with tiny ears to someone with massive ears, you should be happy.

A nice little extra was finding the wee carry bag, this is something I'm used to getting with my much more expensive DJ headphones and it's a really nice feature in something so reasonably priced.

Now let's get on to the important bit for me, sound quality. Now I originally gravitated towards RHA since I visited their shop at Christmas time and tried some of their over-ear and on-ear headphones and was very impressed by the sound quality, plus they're Glasgow based like me and I love to support a local business.

I had high expectations from these guys and glad to say I wasn't disappointed. I've been testing them with different file formats and mediums to try and get as wide a perspective as possible.

First I tested with mp3 files, I got some song's which I have some duplicate mp3's of with different compression formats. I started with some Belle and Sebastian (thought I'd keep it all Glaswegian). I compared 3 different mp3 files of Boy With the Arab Strap bit rates as 128, 256 and 320 kbps. They're also different compression formats, the 256 and 320 both sounded excellent, the 128 sounded trashy, but anything that low bit-rate is going to. But the two higher bitrate files sounded excellent, good warm rich sound and well rounded. I then thought to get a proper comparison I would compare it to the 12" vinyl and the mp3's were really standing up well against it through the MA450i's.

I then decided to test out more vinyl through them and the results were excellent. I tried old vinyl, new vinyl and all sorts of styles from reggae, disco, electro, 80's charts, 90's dance and it was like heaven, the high quality shone through.

I next went back to my computer and tried some wav's and same story, great sound reproduction.
Bass reflex on these are great, you can almost feel it, and unlike many other in-ear phones, this isn't at the peril of loosing definition at higher frequencies.

The last thing I did was see how loud I can push these, Put it this way...they could go louder without cracking up than I can!

Overall the sound compares to my Seinnheiser HD-25's really well, in fact, I think it may verge on surpassing them. Considering these cost £100 less than my seinheisser's I'm happy with that!

The only thing left to talk about is the noise isolation. Let's put it this way, I'm listening to music on quite low volume while I type this out and I can't hear my very loud keyboard, my house-mate has just walked down our very squeeky stairs and I couldn't hear it, the snug excellent fit from these really blocks out almost all external noise.

[Add comment]