on 15 January 2009
I remember hearing this album when I was in senior school around the time it would have been new out. I liked it then and in the last few years have toyed with the idea of picking it up on vinyl or CD. I approach this album as a casual fan and someone who picked up the 8 album boxset for a good price out of intrigue to hear their recorded album journey (well, most of it.)

A good test of how easy something is to listen to (for me anyway) is to play it when ill. I had not been holding back on playing the CD at home waiting for a bout of man flu, but at the latter end of recovery I gave it a spin on the home stereo expecting it to sound bright and compressed like many remasters seem to these days. It is to the credit of Ian Cooper at Metropolis Mastering that this was very easy to listen to. It sounds like every thing was taken from good sources, although there is a little tape damage or something audible in parts of the 12" mix of Sisters... but I found that quite charming in a way.

So, the album:
Sounds nice, NOT harsh, NOT mega trebbly - hooray! I think it has stood up well over time, although the last two tracks of the album proper are easily skipped for me despite memory telling me I quite liked the last track: Better To...

The bonus tracks:
I'm not a mega fan so some may strongly disagree but it appears across this series that Eurythmics were not really champions of the classic b-side or 12" mix. Nothing made me run out of the room screaming, but there's maybe only one or two tracks that I'd want to pay more attention to in the near future. The two b-sides are generally "b-side"y. The 12" mix of Sisters is not very exciting - it shows to me that they really nailed the mix with the LP version. However, the 12" of Would I Lie To You? - although only about 30 secs longer than the LP version - is of interest, sounding more like a stadium performance than before (NOTE: the CD credits this as the ET version, but it's actually the Extended Version that was on the b-side of the 12".) Conditioned Soul (live) didn't really do anything for me (I didn't get on with the backing vocals in places either) and Hello I Love You was interesting enough, but I've never been into the Doors (or their lyrics) so it wasn't a big deal for me, but it was an interestingly different arrangement.

In summary:
Sounds nice, bonus tracks not massively exciting - oh and no complete lyrics included.
5 people found this helpful