5.0 out of 5 stars Not a diet but a way of life, 31 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer (Paperback)
Book arrived this morning and I spent the next few hours reading it cover to cover. I've been following this way of eating since August and lost 20 lb so far and 6 inches off my waist. It has left me feeling both physically and and mentally healthier and so far, fingers crossed, my annual winter SAD has not materialised. There's so much information on the internet about this and similar diets (I know, I've looked!) so it's great to have it all distilled in one book and I look forward to Dr Mosley's soon-to-be-launched website dedicated to 5:2. If I had the money I would buy several copies and distribute them amongst my sceptical friends. The first half deals with the science behind fasting, the second the practicalities. There is also a chapter dedicated to the findings of people like me who have been following this 'diet' since the Horizon programme. All in all a very satisfying book. I highly recommend it, especially if, like me, you've tried diet after diet and very quickly slipped back into bad habits because you've found them unsustainable. 5 days of ordinary eating, 2 days of restricted calories. It's as simple as that.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Jan 2013, 11:18:34 GMT
A. Marsh says:
That's great - well done. However as a word of caution - I have also been following a well known diet plan (i won't mention the name in case people think i'm on commission!) since the summer and have lost a similar amount to you and am also experiencing the same mental and physical benefits you mention. So I remain to be convinced that this approach is anything new. The real test ,for all forms of weight loss, is whether you manage to maintain it over the long term.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2013, 19:23:46 GMT
J. Higham says:
Hi A. Marsh

I would like to add that there's nothing new in this idea, and nobody said that either. It's just about how our society got out of hand with it's eating (and exercise) habits, becoming obsessional and producing wacky diet plans, and health ideas. Obesity was a minority problem in the past, and when I say the past I'm talking about the past 40 years (+/-). The amount of overweight people in the 60's was tiny .... but starting to grow.

Basically this book is categorised under dieting, but that's just a marketing glitch. In reality if we all ate less and more healthily then you'd loose weight naturally. This book gives you the basic steps to push you in that direction.

Posted on 9 Jan 2013, 17:57:28 GMT
M. Allum says:
This method life style is just fantastic, I lost over 12 kgs in 6 months without giving all the weekend treats, brilliant. The best bit is how your mind feels, open and refreashed.

Posted on 17 Jan 2013, 14:37:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jan 2013, 14:38:26 GMT
Sarita says:
A. Marsh that may be true when it comes to weight loss - this diet also turns on an anti-inflammatory gene, protects against Alzheimers, improves blood sugar levels etc etc... AND stops one getting obsessed with food, calories, Weight Watchers 'points', carbohydrate vs protein etc etc. Getting discipline in your life - for two days a week - without starting to see food as 'bad' or 'fattening' or thinking 'I can't eat that' is a very empowering (and peaceful) thing to do.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2013, 15:50:34 GMT
M. Allum says:
Hi, I feel so much sharper after my two days. After the crimbo period my weight went up but its now on the way back down again, ok little by little but the trend is downward. Fasting is just the best way forward to enable people to live a normal life and still keep their weight down.

Posted on 19 Jan 2013, 10:05:49 GMT
Only 20lbs lost, but a whole 6 inches off the waist. Are you sure? That doesn't quite add up to me.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2013, 22:32:58 GMT
Rachel says:
I think that's reasonable. I have gained 14 pounds in the last 6 months and put on 3 inches on my waist. It depends how you carry weight - some put on weight and its evenly distributed so measurements in one particular area may not vary that much, but for those of us who carry it in unfortunate places - waist and bum (!) will gain and lose lots in these areas ....

Posted on 17 Feb 2013, 12:07:17 GMT
Thanks for the review 'wildmiller'. What particularly interests me is your mention of SAD. I've suffered from it for about 10 years and always had to take SJW to overcome it. However, due to a new, regular exercise regime, I haven't had the annual battle with SAD this year. Have you done anything else different, other than fasting, that might have helped to improve the SAD or do you think it's purely down to the change in diet?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2014, 17:24:16 GMT
All my weight is carried on my tummy unfortunately for me!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2014, 17:26:56 GMT
Nothing different other than the diet. I've thought about the reasons a lot and I don't know whether it's physical i.e. naturally gravitating towards a healthier diet, or psychological -having a strong feeling of finally being in control.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›