on 21 October 2008
First, I did like the book. Am currently reading the complete series and as a whole: I am liking it.
The only thing I found, is the similarities between this story and some other authors' work.
One example: A fort where the housing quarters are within the walls and the lead character finds a part of their family à The Algar Fort in the Belgariad books? Garion finds his cousin?
There are more of these similarities, even in the naming of some of the characters/places I am reminded of Eddings' and Robin Hobb's work which I found to be somewhat distracting at times. At different times I found myself thinking of "Ulgo-Land" or imagining Fritz or Garion in some scenes. One storyline is starting to remind me of the Black Magician trilogy.

I guess that is the "danger" with reading mainly one genre of books, you're bound to start seeing these similarities.

All in all, a pleasant read though. You will find yourself rooting for the main characters and I am not sorry about purchasing the complete series in one go.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink