on 23 November 2009
Stanislavski, was a pioneer in the way we see acting today. He believed the character was what an actor really needed to get into the mind of aswell as learning lines and cues. ( This is the reviewer's son, as it is in most-reviews).

I started reading the book in the summer of 2009, and found it rather challenging. I found it hard to make sense of at time's because it was too long, and the concept of a story distracted me from seeing what the book was trying to teach. It' a good idea trying to make the book more interesting by involvement of different character's but it was seen through the eye's of a student rather than the teacher.

There is in me much respect for Stanislavski who has influenced my favourite techniques (Michael Chekhov and Uta Hagen). However using personal emotions of the past was very wrong. I was on-stage once and I took a sad memory as I had to perform a monologue and I burst into tears' before it was my cue, and I couldn't control myself. I received many round's of applause after, but inside me I knew what a mistake I had made.

This book is a godo starting-point though for beginning actor's but once you have made sense of the method, I suggest you experiment different techniques until you find the one that's right for you. Every actor has a different way of acting, so go out there and give it all you've got!
11 Comment| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?