on 23 February 2010
Can you remember where you were when you first heard Husker Du, I can. It was 1986 and I was listening to Radio Trent ( can you remember that when local commercial radio was worth listening to ) Any way I was 21 and getting ready to go to the pub when the song Hardly getting over it came on the radio and after 30 seconds I was hooked. I can even remember what the DJ John Shaw said to his co-presenter Mark Spivey. " I would love so see them do that on top of the pops. Can you imagine it then song starts and the lights up, and 3 fat Americans appear on stage wouldn't that be great."

Quite alot of people who were already fans of Husker Du were not happy when Candy Apple Grey was released as they said they had sold out and they had gone commercial, but I don't agree. just because you can now hear what they are singing about now does not mean an artist has sold out. To be honest if the song that they had played on the radio in 1986 was New day rising off one of their earlier album with the same name I would just gone to the pub not knowing that Husker Du ever exisited.
About five years ago I was at work, and with my colleages and through boredom we all decided to write down our desert island disc, and after an hour mine was finished, And yes along with Radioheads Ok Computer, Pink Floyds The Wall, Cocteau Twins Heavan or Las Vagas, This Mortal coil It will end in tears, Rush Power Windows, Stiff Lille Fingers Inflamable Material, The Smiths Hatful of Hollow, REMs Green and Stations of the Crass by Crass "remember them." Candy Apple Grey was added. Thats right its that good, Out of 400+ albums and 100+ CDs it would be in my top ten.

If you like early REM or early 80s punk you willl like this album, but do not judge this album by the first track Crystal because the song is about drugs and is played at 100 mph, but after a 50 plays you will like this track as well. Which will then make this one of thoughs rear masterpeices, an album with not one weak track.
22 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?