on 21 April 2010
I'm 31 and I was looking after a friends 6yr old son for the evening recently. After sitting watching a dreadfully horrible show called Handy Manny for a while (whoever thought talking tools were a good idea IS a tool), he left the room and came back grinning from ear to ear with a box. I had a sinking feeling (I hid it very well) as he told me we are going to play with these - bendyroooooo's! He then excitedly emptied the box onto the floor, it contained lots of plastic bags of coloured sticks, bits of paper and card and a red plastic *gizmo*. I started to look and it seemed not to bad - a lot better than Handy Manny at least! It turned out I had the most fun I've had in ages.

The box he had was this exact same box. The bendyrooos are bendy. . . obviously, and somehow covered in a thin layer of wax so they stick together. You get lots of packets, all different colours from black, grey and white to different shades of blues, greens, red, bright pink and yellows and purples. They are in a long clump in each pack so you peel them off when you need one. There are images on 2 doublesided cards including a lion, fish and bird. Then theres step by step instructions on how to create them and a colour guide, included on the instruction sheet are more step-by-step instructions on how to make lots more things like a slice of 3D cake, a watch, bicycle, flowers and lots more. Also around the box were pictures of more ideas on what to make.

We started off and I was instructed to make the fish while he made an icecream. So I did. It was a bit tricky at first and i realised the bendyroos would not be on the exact lines of the drawing when finished. I'd got halfway through and I was told I was making a bird and he'd do the fish so we swapped over. Well my bird was amazingly good if I say so myself. I'd finished it and he made the log to attach it to so it could stand up, it was very sturdy and solid when made. I was amazed to find he'd made a candle from quite complicated looking instructions and half a plate for the cake to stand on - on his own at 6yrs old when he'd never done it before. I then had to make the bottom of the cake which was simple to do. He then drew around it with his Ben 10 pencil - very important detail - and made the top and assembled it all while I finished the plate. We also made ice-creams,flowers, our own designs of lollipops and sweets and peoples faces.

I wasn't supervising him, I was getting right into it and doing my own thing. We played with them for at very least 1hr 30 mins. He had lots of concentration and best of all he was QUIET!! Which is a miracle as hes normally loud and energetic to put it mildly ie: Very hyper! The red gizmo is a cutting and joining tool. We found it was useless as a joining tool we did it by hand easier. the cutting tool is a lot safer than scissors. We were playing on carpet and they never marked anything and were easy to put away after. His mummy and nana were amazed at what had been made.

I put 5* for educational as the kids learn to follow instructions and then be creative making own designs. They were very sturdy once made into something but could easily be removed and used again if we made something we didn't like or did something wrong. I put 3* for durability as I don't know in the long term how many times they can be taken apart and rebent etc. It could be 5* but I don't know. And obviously its great fun! And best of all it stops kids watching Handy Manny...Yippeeee!!

I'm actually thinking of getting some for myself, which is how I found this page, but am debating in my mind if its a bit sad at my age or not ;o)
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.