Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 2 May 2016
 I have fair skin and dark hair.

The IPL works by using a bright pulse of light which basically attacks the pigmentation in the root of the hair - this is why it only works on certain skin and hair colour combos - I'd recommend checking their chart to make sure it will work on your combo - you also need to be aware it wont work on really freckly people either. The braun IPL has a built in sensor which automatically adjusts for different skin tones as you use it - unlike other similar products which you have to manually adjust. This feature makes the braun IPL easier an quicker to use and also safer as there is no risk of you turning it on to the wrong level and as you can have a few different skin tones on one body part thats really helpful e.g. my knees are a darker colour than rest of my legs. The built in sensor is also a safety device to stop you from accidentally sending the light pulse into someone's eyes or similar as it will only work if the sensors on either side of the IPL are in direct contact with skin - no contact no light pulse.

I have used the IPL 3 times so far on my underarms and legs with pretty good results. On the whole it has been pretty much painless (exception being week 2 - see below)

Firstly you have to continue with shaving or waxing or whatever hair removal regime you have in place whilst using this. I shave so thats what I have continued to do.

1st use:

I shaved my underarms and legs 12 hours before using this item.

As I was a bit nervous I used it on sensitive mode.

Using it was quick and easy - it took around 5-10 minutes for me to do both legs and then around 5 mins to do my underarms

Whilst using there was a smell of burning hair.

There was no pain at all from using it.

Some difficulty getting the sensors to connect around ankles and knees - I got around this by doing the bulk of my legs in strips and then going around the ankles and knees separately. Similar difficulties around the underarm area

I did have a mild after-effect in that my underarms itched for a couple of days after the first use.

2nd use - 1 week later

My legs were noticeable smoother with less hair and hardly needed shaving prior to use.

I didnt notice any immediate difference on the underarms

I did make a mistake with my underarms in that I shaved and then left it around 36 hours before using it. This meant there was some regrowth. When I used the IPL it was quite uncomfortable to use. It felt quite warm and it felt like I was being pinched sharply. I carried on and did both underarms - no after-effects of itching this time though.

3rd use - 1 week later

Legs - noticeably smoother and hair free - shaving not required before using the IPL as no hair there!

Underarms - regrowth of hair a lot slower and hair itself appeared less thick - instead of looking like I hadnt shaved for a week it looked like I hadnt shaved for a couple of days. I shaved 12 hours before using the device and had no issues or pain.

I am now coming up to my 4th week of using the IPL - regrowth of hair on the legs has almost completely stopped and I think following this next session I will be looking at switching to a 2 weekly maintenance session to see if this keeps my legs smooth.

Underarms - less hair and slower regrowth but shaving still required so will be continuing with the weekly sessions until it has gone completely.

Overall I am pleased with the results so far and hope to continue to get good results from it.

There are a few things about this product that could be improved though:

- the handle is really large and bulky and doesnt fit comfortably into the hand
- I personally found that the power cable popped out once or twice - I would prefer it to be a fitted cable but thats just personal choice
- The large head means doing larger body parts like the legs quickly really easily but it also means when doing smaller areas it can be difficult to get the sensors to connect to the skin and if they arent connecting the device wont work
- As you have to continue to use this item it would be great if there was a case to store it in so it doesnt get damaged if your taking it on holiday.

There is also an app you can download and use on your phone to remind yourself when you need to do a session. I personally didnt get much use out of the app myself but it's easy enough to download and use if you are interested in it.
review imagereview image