on 12 July 2006
I was looking forward to reading this book. I have lived and studied in Israel at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. During my time there, I was not exposed to Arab Israelis or the West Bank. I lived my life with my Jewish friends on a Jewish scholarship experiencing very much only one 'side' of Israel. I found reading Nathan's book illumintaing to say the least. I did not know of many of the injustices that had taken place in establishing the state of Israel and the inequality and sorrow of the Palestinian experience. I don't know whether this was because I chose not to know or I just didn't take any notice. I was shocked when I read this book and my perception has shifted in my understanding of Israel.

Susan Nathan writes fluidly combining the personal and the political in this book that tells of her own experience in discovering the 'lie' of the Zionist ideal that she had been brought up with. Each chapter focuses on a different aspect of the Palestinian experience in modern Israel and she quotes from and interviews many Arab Israelis and displaced Palestinians. She tells the personal stories of several Palestians who have been driven from their home and ancestoral land, and in doing so shows the human face of the Israeli occupation.

I learnt so much from reading this interesting and impeccably reserached book. There is so much that we in the West are not shown about the true nature of the situation in Israel. I know that I will never look at Israel in the same way again.
0Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.