on 9 December 2012
I came to this because having done a number of successful presentations, I wanted to challenge my own style. I had a nagging suspicion that I could move up a level further by concentrating on just speaking (in some situations) rather than trying to be a master of Powerpoint or Prezi.

It is well worth reading, and it confirmed a lot of my half-developed thoughts. It also contains a lot of good tips. It is very precise in sticking to one formula, and some may find that a bit over-prescriptive, particularly for presentations other than the big set-piece. It's sometimes a little bit smug, and I wonder also if it's not a book for the novice - you probably have to have a reasonable amount of experience of presenting to get the most from it, and the confidence to adopt a style quite different from that employed by the vast majority of corporate presenters. But the core messages of an emphasis on preparation, the creation of a Micro-Statement and Spikes, are well worth understanding and absorbing, and can be deployed in creating written documents as well as presentations.

The second half of the book moves away from the presentation structure which is the core theory, and deals with a more random selection of presentation-related topics. Don't overlook these sections - the chapters on humour and after-dinner speaking are vital reading, even if you have no intention of trying to make people laugh or getting onto the after-dinner circuit.

I've also found that there's been an on-going benefit from reading this book. Since finishing it, I've been watching other people's presentations with a much more educated eye, which has been as useful in developing my thinking as reading the book itself.

A final word on format. I read this on my Kindle, and this sort of book is perhaps not ideally suited to the Kindle format. It's a book you might want to lend to somebody, or thumb through for ideas when getting ready for a big presentation. Kindle doesn't lend itself to that.

However, that's not a detraction from the book itself, which I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone who presents regularly and wants to up their game.
What's this?