Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

on March 6, 2014
Firstly I’d like to thank ED PR for sending me this book to read and give an honest review. I previously read and very much enjoyed The Forbidden Queen (review on my blog) by the same author so I was really keen to get started on this one!

The prologue introduced me to Katherine and the unfortunate situation she found herself in. Katherine seemed like a strong, interesting woman and I was immediately drawn in by her. When the Duke’s proposition came along a short while later I found that it wasn’t as harsh as I had expected and, even though I felt he was rather quick off the mark, I actually quite liked him. Katherine’s reaction to the proposition was interesting and once again not as I had expected – as I read further and learned the strength of her feelings I began to understand her reaction better.

The Duke’s seduction of Katherine was wonderful to read, this part created a dangerous sort of excitement that radiated from the book. I felt nervous for Katherine when rumours began to circulate and I was surprised by this – being a married woman myself, I thought I would feel a strong dislike towards the ‘scandalous Duchess’ simply because of her involvement with a married man but somehow it wasn’t like that at all. She wasn’t as brazen as I thought she would be and I found myself respecting her attempts to put distance between herself and the Duke.

The whole story captivated me, I was taken along on a historical ride that had me glued to the pages and eventually I was brought to tears by an emotional epilogue. It was beautifully written once again, the author has the wonderful ability of making history come to life. I have to admit that history has never been one of my favourite subjects but with Anne’s books I find myself utterly immersed in the subject – the characters, the setting, the old-fashioned customs, and especially the romance, all combined to give me a fascinating glimpse into the past!

This was another fabulous, romantic read by Anne O’Brien.
What's this?