5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute MUST READ!, 30 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Rose Petal Beach (Hardcover)
I have read all of Dorothy Koomson's books and in all honesty have loved all of them. They may have very beautiful covers, but don't let them fool you people. Hidden behind those beautiful covers lies a well constructed book that is far from beautiful and in the case of her latest book the story is almost sinister. Dorothy's books may well be categorised into Women's fiction, but this almost has a Suspense feel to it and the only way I can describe it is that it was just as gripping as a Kern Rose kind of book, but minus the multiple dead bodies!

Her more recent books have started to take a more serious theme to them and I have found myself preferring this more serious side to her storytelling. The Rose Petal Beach is a love story with some serious dangerous elements to it. Tamia Challey is married to Scott and they have two wonderful children. However, when Scott is arrested and accused of a horrific crime, things start to go very wrong. When Tami realises what he is accused of and who the accuser is her life goes into freefall and the life she has known all along seems to be disintegrating before her eyes.

Within the first three to four chapters I was feeling nervous. Why was there so much chopping and changing between Tami and two other characters, what was the meaning of it all and why was it not making any sense to me. As usual I had absolutely no reason to be fearful as by the halfway stage I was fighting sleep because I just had to keep reading. It's very hard to review this without spoilers so unfortunately I will have to keep certain opinions to a minimum, but I will say this is a book that will keep you page turning well into the early hours.

The first half of the book features Tami and her family and friends and things start to fall into place and make a little sense. After my first night of trying (and failing) to stay awake, I started again in the morning only to be thrown by another dramatic series of events. The book has one theme that it is worked around and you see relationships develop, before, during and after events that seem to unfold and become more relevant, the more the reader uncovers. By the three quarter mark I had got it all sussed, and then I turned the page and changed my mind! That happened a lot during this book.

Like I said before, it's hard to review without spoiling it, but I will say that this book delves deep into the emotional state of various people whilst they try to deal with major events. It is a book that although very driven by emotion, has a serious amount of suspense from start to finish. I think in one respect this may be her best book yet, only because it has such a sinister and unusual feel to it. This may not be everybody's cup of tea but one that I think many fans will love, and people that haven't tried will be surprised with.

Whatever you do, DON'T judge this book by its cover. It may be one of her most beautiful covers of hers yet, but it doesn't show just how dark and dangerous the story really is. It's funny that now I have finished the story the cover doesn't look quite as innocent as it did before, but is certainly a book that I won't be forgetting in a hurry! If you haven't read DK before, you may like to give this a try, trust me...it's certainly not all romance and flowers!

[Add comment]