5.0 out of 5 stars If you only read one book...make it this!, 11 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment (Paperback)
I bought this after it was mentioned in a review in psychologies magazine. It sounded like the answer to my prayers! Having lived for most my life under the harsh reign of my anxious, un-checked mind, this book promised to be a simple and powerful tool. I am happy to say that I have not been disappointed! This book is very easy to read and work with, and I have been pretty much anxious-free since I picked it up. I can't say it's easy, a life-time habit of thought pattern is hard to let go, especially when interacting with others. But with practise I can see the benefits will be priceless. To be mindful is the key to happiness, and although this has been taught since the beginning, it has become slightly accessorised with the tastes of various enlightened souls. Tolle's book is as simple and unfettered as it gets - it agrees with the essence of all our world religions but pulls back the heavy curtains to reveal the one truth that we all need to be. Once this has been accomplished everything else just falls into place!
Since I began reading this book my life has dramatically improved. I no longer require alcohol to socialise or relax, I see the beauty in everything and this gives me an endless supply of joy. My relationships are so calm and easy, my creativity has sky-rocketed and I feel relaxed and happy all the time. No sleepless nights or churning stomach. I will be buying this book for all my loved-ones because I want them to experience life like this too.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Jan 2013 19:46:17 GMT
O. Stepney says:
Thank you for your insightful review and congratulations on improving your life as a result of applying these principles. Your review is a wonderful example of what can be achieved by this classic teaching.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2013 08:01:36 BDT
Yes. I agree. I have been influenced by buddhism, especially zen, across most of my adult life. I have never encountered a more uncluttered, direct, unfettered style of advice. Eckhart Tolle gets right to the heart of the matter with no nonsense or gibberish. Incidentally I have also experienced severe chronic pain over the last 5 years, which has sent me searching for solutions of all kinds to this, from the most mainstream medical to the most mind body spiritual. The Power of Now should be read by any pain-sufferer and should be on the shelf of anyone purporting to treat others for their pain. This book should be read slowly, thoughtfully, with pauses to enact and practice, to experience, what it talks of. It is a wonderful achievement and a great gift to us all. Thank you, Eckhart Tolle...

Posted on 12 Oct 2013 12:06:35 BDT
Heard so much about this book but this one review has made me decide

to purchase Power of Now

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Oct 2013 15:05:27 BDT
Phoebe Sharp says:
Good decision! You won't regret it I'm sure...Since writing that review I have continued to apply Tolles guidance to my life, and have never been more content, with myself, my situation and others. I have also listened to a few of his recorded talks on Audible, in which he discusses his principles in both a lucid and delightfully entertaining manner. I wouldn't say I've achieved a state of perpetual enlightenment (yet!), there are still times when I just can't empty my mind or I act unconsciously but what I have now is a huge improvement on my pre-Tolle self.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2013 02:03:28 GMT
Jamie says:
Phoebe I haven't read this book yet (literally just ordered it) but reading your review/comment makes me so happy for you :) it's so refreshing to hear of positive changes and happiness within someone else. May you keep on learning, loving and enjoying life !!!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2013 09:06:22 GMT
Phoebe Sharp says:
Thank you very much Jamie! I'm happy my review is helping so many people choose this book to read. It should be read by everyone...what an amazing world it would be if every person on the planet adopted some of thought principles of this book! Enjoy the read, and everything thereafter!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2014 16:07:34 GMT
Eve says:
Hi phoebe, I am currently reading this book, but my unconscious mind still seeks reassurance at the moment, hence the decision to read other's thoughts, and your review has given me just that! You sound very similar to me in your past experiences of life, and I only hope I can follow the advice of the book as you have. I completely understand the theory, I just struggle with the practical side (and yes I know that acceptance should not be a struggle!). Thank you for your wonderful and heartfelt review, it's restored my hope :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 16:55:49 GMT
Hi Eve,
Thank you, it's very heartening to hear that my review has given you renewed enthusiasm. It's like all things, practice makes perfect!
Every time I notice my unconscious mind is running the show I remember a tv documentary I watched about Buddhism and the way the monks were carefully walking with a full cup of water. So meticulous, but they didn't spill a drop. I just try to notice everything, really concentrate on every detail of what I'm doing, every footstep, every breath, an insect buzzing, every sensation and so on...when you've got that much to think about there's no room in your head for that worry you thought needed so much attention!
Of course, I still have worries, and that's just part of me, of being human. I love, I care, I support those in my life, so naturally there is still a sense of wanting everything to be good for them and myself, and therefore an awareness of what I want for them also generates an awareness of what I don't want. But what Tolle has helped me to do is notice these thoughts as soon as they come up, and recognize that they are not reality, they are my mind generated hopes or fears, and I have now chosen to disregard them. What will be will be!
But I think the key is to just be aware of your thoughts all the time, and that's were the practice comes in. Even if you can only manage 5 or ten mins at first, you will feel the benefit. If you're in the UK, go for a walk tomorrow, the weather is supposed to be lovely, and really notice the shape, the colour of every thing you see, feel the textures. Look for the next thing, absorb the colour of the sky, hear every sound. If you can do that, and get home and realise that you didn't spend one second thinking about something that happened in the past or something that might happen in the future, then you will have experienced the power of now, and that is what it's all about. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Mar 2014 08:29:25 GMT
yasmine91 says:
Hi Phoebe, I just ordered the book. Something I wanted to do for years but so much has come in-between(I know that is not an excuse and it probably means that I really really need to stop stressing and start to breathe). Anyway, I really loved what you just wrote about living in NOW. Something I feel I need but I have one question. How do you live in NOW with work? How do you plan at work but at the same time still live in NOW? There is so often I have to study and plan for meetings etc that I feel it would be impossible to live in NOW. Maybe the book will give me the answers....

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Mar 2014 09:54:14 GMT
Hi Yasmine,
The book will definitely help, you will be so grateful for allowing this into your life now...after you have read it you will be thinking 'why did I think all that other stuff was so important!'...with work and planning, I get the idea that yes we need clock time, but need to discard psychological time ie bring things you have learnt from the past into the planning, the logical stuff, but none of the emotions that you may have felt. I personally try not to imagine a future outcome, but just focus on each step as if it's the only thing I have to do that day. I find I get things done much faster too. I also find that by totally focussing on something, I get into a 'zone' and the outcome is far superior to if I had been flitting about, multitasking, my mind elsewhere etc. I can't remember if it was Tolle or someone else, but I do remember someone using formula 1 drivers as an example, it's almost a meditative state, but totally focused and with heightened awareness.
I think that when you have read the book you will have a very different relationship with your work and sense of achievement, and when that stress has gone you will find such joy in everything you do.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›