Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 29 July 2010
I bought this as a cheap interim pump while I wait for spare parts to be delivered for my main pump, which is made by another manufacturer. As such I was only ever intending it to be used for a couple of days a year so I wasn't expecting much from it. But it didn't meet even those low requirements.

Out of the box, everything seemed pretty good. It's a bit cheap looking in the materials, but then it is a cheap pump. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it even has a pressure adjustment dial and metal feet rather than the cheaper plastic feet of some more expensive booster pumps. The manual is well-written and easy to understand, if a bit light on technical details. However, the pressure dial is hard to read if the pump is installed at floor level.

However, once it was hooked into the system, my impressions changed. Following the instructions we began to prime the pump by pouring in a couple of litres of water, only to discover the couple of litres of water pouring straight back out where the bell housing meets the chassis. Clearly the gasket had failed.

Hoping we could salvage it, we removed the bell housing by undoing four of the stiffest, most recalcitrant allen bolts ever. I have bruises on the palms of my hands from the effort it took to turn the allen key. The gasket was a mess. Over a quarter of its length was mangled, clearly from when the bell housing had been seated during manufacture. So it seems Silverline have no kind of test or QA process on what they build. Although we reseated it and reattached the bell housing, the gasket was too badly damaged to seal, and the pump couldn't even make enough pressure to draw open the non-return value on its intake pipe.

All in all, a waste of time and money. I bought this because even with overnight shipping it was half the price of the cheapest comparable pump from a local bricks and mortar retailer. Now I understand why.
3 people found this helpful