on 11 April 2013
11th April, 2013
Good laser printer bought after Which review recommendation. (viewed in local library). i was a bit reluctant to purchase at first as I'd had a bit of a nightmare with a previous HP officejet pro inkjet colour that was extremely expensive on the cartridges that also froze the machine if one inkjet cart was empty and also bled ink inside. Eventually junked!
This printer however is different. It was connected via WI FI to both a Mac and PC. In connecting it up I let the Mac do it's own thing connected with no real problems. *I did not use the supplied disc with MAC driver on as this seemed to confuse the Mac. I just let Mac sort itself which it did surprisingly easily. *
The PC. The instructions asked that I plug the printer in to the PC initially with a USB to the PC which I did even though I wanted a WI FI connection. The PC then searched on the HP web site for the printer driver. I did not use the supplied disc as the PC seemed to do it's own thing in searching for the correct printer driver which it did off the HP website no real issues, other than that fairly simple but you have to be patient. Following on screen instructions the PC was later able to "talk" to the printer via WI FI and print.

The Mac took about 20 mins from sitting down to finish to load driver and the PC about 45 mins.
I've only just come to change the supplied genuine printer cartridge after some 5 months home light usage which has prompted this review. I suspect this original supplied cartridge was not fully charged with toner but it came with the printer to start off with and it's done its job. (Just have to work out how to get all this plastic recycled!)
I bought a spare original HP cartridge when I bought the printer on another reviewer's recommendation. On reading some of the adverse user reports on replica cartridges I'm glad I did buy a second genuine cartridge I think it's worth paying a bit more for the genuine printer cartridge for the reliability and sustained quality. Good BW printer for the price in my opinion esp if you've got someone studying at home.
What's this?