I read the Warlord trilogy as soon as it was published and I've just finished re-reading all three books ("The Winter King" is the first). I remembered that I had enjoyed the books immensely first time around - and they were no less gripping second time!
I've read two or three of Cornwell's Sharpe novels and his most recent, the Grail Quest trilogy. In my opinion his Arthurian stories are much, much better than the others. So, if you enjoy Sharpe, you ought to enjoy these books - if you don't like Sharpe, don't let them put you off!
I've read plenty of Arthurian literature, and I reckon The Warlord trilogy comprises the best I've encountered. Set in a believable 5th century, with the vestiges of Rome competing with British resurgence, competing with Saxon invasions and with encroaching Christianity, the plot isn't hugely complex, but complex enough to be believable. The battle scenes are gritty and visceral. Most important, as another reviewer has noted, the myth of Lancelot is brilliantly shattered (I love it when authors turn the tables on traditional heroes).
There is also plenty of humour. Cornwell makes Merlin a very funny character, showing a weary cynicism that competes with his fervour to save Britain. Sometimes I felt his humour was inappropriate, then changed my mind as it helped to show that here was a man (druid) who is operating on a totally different level from anyone else.
All in all, an extremely good book, and well worth reading.
0Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.