6 of 7 people found the following review helpful
Clarification of what's in the box,
This review is from: Perception: 40th Anniversary (6 CD's and 6 DVD-A's) (Audio CD)
Trying to read up about this set left me uncertain as to what I would get - especially in terms of audio tracks. I have seen professional reviews dismiss this set as a bunch of CD's with a few video clips.
So to clarify, this what you get:
- A CD of each album with bonus tracks
- A DVD which contains stereo and surround tracks, video clips, the same bonus tracks as the CD's, and pics.
- The audio on the DVD is in two versions.
- If your player doesn't support DVD Audio, when you go into Setup you are offered DTS & Dolby Surround and Dolby Stereo
- If your player does support DVD Audio, and works like mine, when you go into Setup you are offered Advanced Resolution Stereo or Advanced Resolution Surround. When you play this layer you will see that it is 24 bit/96KHz.
Note that the bonus tracks on the DVD are in the same format as the album when playing the DVD Audio tracks the bonus tracks are also 24 bit/96 KHz
In case you are thinking of tracking down the pre-slipcase version and can't work out what it is, this is how it is designed:
The box opens like a book with a full width spine and two outer covers. Each of these covers looks like half of a box and when you open the package up a slip case holding the 6 double digipaks kind of floats inbetween the covers. As the case is taller than the digipack enclosure they have added a peep hole / slide show feature at the top. In one half of the main box you have an actual real brass door peephole. In the other half there is a hole running to the outer cover. This cover has a matt translucent disc with 4 band images which you select by turning a wheel (like Led Zep III). To view the show you hold the box up to the light, look through the hole and turn the wheel. Note that this is a funky novelty and not something that will make you go "wow isn't that brilliant". I had expected more like 20 images rather than 4. Apart from that it's a well put together box.
Back to the audio, how does it sound? Can't speak for the CD's (they are for iTunes or the car) but I have listened to the DTS tracks because a friend lent me some copies. They sound good but the high resolution DVD-A tracks sound amazing and if you have half decent ears you will be very pleased!