on 28 July 2010
I know this book's been out for seven years, but I've only just got around to reading it. Paul Armstrong aside, I'm probably the world's biggest AWP fan, and noticed this book when it came out. It didn't look particularly appealing - too much filler space with pics, scripts and such like. But I recently managed to pick it up for just a couple of bob, proving, I suppose why I didn't pay 17 notes for it when it in the first place.
For the casual AWP, it's fine. For those who adore series 1 and 2, it's ok, bordering on disappointing. The author had access to many of the main players, but failed to obtain much of real quality, furnishing us with the odd paragraph here and there. He gave us a mere taster of the action, but that was all.
Its major omission is/was failing to receive any input from Nail. We all know James can be hard work, with an ego the size of Gateshead, but having got Roddam on board, surely the latter could have got the former on board. And why couldn't the author have waited for Spall to complete his filming commitments in order to interview him? Sometimes, certain things are worth waiting for.
A lot of what was in the book, I already knew. It would have been nice to read a bit more about Gary, but many questions remain unanswered. Why wasn't the spat between Dick, Ian and Tracy Ullman's hubby mentioned? Why did Nail give Noel Clarke such a hard time in AWP3? Clarke admitted this in a 5live interview recently - and I'm toning it down. And what's Nail like now he's given up the drink? Oh, and James, don't forget who got you to where you are now ie the public. Try and be nice to them. Please. After all, they are the ones who watched AWP, who bought your records, your nice house, cars....If it wasn't for them you'd still be living in a hut in Dooooseldorf. We like you - honest.
All in all, a great series (ie AWP 1 AND 2 - forget the others), and one which deserved a great book. A wasted opportunity. Where's Paul Armstrong when you need him......
6 people found this helpful