on 5 October 2004
This is the first review I've written but, seeing as I enjoyed this film so much, thought I'd make the effort.
I'm not a cricket fan and fail to understand how a game can be played for five days and still end in a draw. Ordinarily the thought of a cricket film would send me running to 'silly mid off' (I think) but circumstance meant I ended up watching it and I'm so very glad that I did.
This film transports you back to the 1950's and does a magnificent job of recreating the feel and pace of life. In that way maybe cricket is a good metaphor.
This film however is about far more than cricket - it's about growing up, friendships, family and life. Cricket brings the characters together but it doesn't define them or the film.
The characters are rich, colourful and engaging and really make you believe you are growing up in those times. Delroy Lindo is particularly good as the West Indian father who moves his family into the London street where the film is set.
Speaking of the sets they're superb. Such attention to detail. I challenge you to watch this film and think you're anywhere else but post-war Britain.
The film is absorbing, the ending is uplifting and it even brought tears to my eyes. No one noticed though!
A cracking film - you don't know me but I recommend it!
7 people found this helpful