on 22 January 2013
I read this right through to the end because I rate Reynolds highly but I had to have a couple of extensive breaks here and there to rekindle interest. I'm not quite sure how it disappointed and I can't fault any particular part. I haven't read any Steampunk SF so I don't know if this is a Steampunk novel or not but it employs both a (dying) high science along with horses and carts, armoured Zeppelins, vicious cyborg animals, equally vicious, wild humans with armoured balloons and skinny flying neo-humans. What larks! (Not).
I found none of the characters to be of great interest and the demarcation of the various groups to be simplified to facelessness. I think there was supposed to be areas of nail-biting tension but I never read that into the problems that arose. This is a quest novel and the quest was fulfilled in the end but the big questions were left unanswered. I suppose this means the may be (or is) a sequel.
What's this?