16 of 17 people found the following review helpful
Informative - A good insider's view,
This review is from: Write to the Top!: How to Be a Prolific Academic! (Paperback)
Johnson and Mullen share their experience and the experience of more advanced colleagues about the process of writing academically. There is a lot to do with the circumstances surrounding the writing activity, and also many advices, in particular to nurture truly sincere human relationships which support and help with writing, possibly leading to collaborative projects.
It is somewhat less hands-on than some other books about academic writing, but it is still an inspiring, informed and informative read.
1. First, Establish a Well-Honed Writing Habit, 1
2. Become Dogmatically Disciplined and Set Firm Boundaries, 23
3. Cater to Your Writing Rhythms, 47
4. Develop the Attitudes and Perspectives of a Prolific Writer, 59
5. Know When to Collaborate and When to Cut Losses, 79
6. Practice Systematic Writing from Start to Finish, 95
7. Revise, Edit, and Revise Some More, 123
8. Seek Mentors, Mentoring Networks, and Writing Coaches, 133
9. Tackle Thoughts and Emotions that Block Productivity, 145
10. Master the Mechanics of Publication: What Publishers Want You to Know, 159
11. Drink Deeply from the Cup of Life, 177