on 29 December 2011
By the time I'd paid for the extras it cost me well over £2k. I upgraded from a pretty fast tower pc which I had bought back in 2003 and was beginning to show its age. I suppose Apple stuff is pretty special which is why people pay the premium. But I was disappointed by its speed. It is no faster than what it replaced and I frequently get that stupid little beachball that stops everything in its tracks.

I don't often buy expensive items, I'm a pretty simple sort of person not interested in the latest technology per se and certainly not wealthy (a relative concept I know, I'm not a millionaire and I am 72 and I know paper money won't last where I'm going). But when I buy something I need or really want quality I'll pay the price (I buy £30 chinos from M&S and T shirts at Primark, but I have a Leica M9 and a couple of Summicrons under my jacket - know what I mean'?).

My MacBook Pro 17 certainly gives me pleasure simply by its feel, its design and build quality, and for what I use it for it's OK. But that's it, it's OK.

Would I buy it again? I'm not sure. Is it worth the premium I paid to get a Mac? Probably not. But I'm into Mac now and I doubt if I'd ever be satisfied with pc quality again so I guess I'll live with it quite happily and if the time ever comes for an upgrade I'll probably buy Apple again, but I definitely won't spend as much (again relatively speaking - a box of matches will be £5 by then).

Tell you what though. The Mac gives me a kick every time I open it up, but if I want a REAL thrill, just feeling the weight of that Leica makes me feel warm all over!
22 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?