5.0 out of 5 stars Match of the Day on Saturday night? Not any more., 6 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Killing - Series 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
For me, Saturday night has always meant Match of the Day. Never thought I'd say this but not any more. The Killing is one of the most intense, brooding and dark thrillers ever to make UK TV. If you want slick and superficial dialogue and lots of fast-moving action scenes this is not for you. What it offers is mystery and intrigue that is both a challenge and something to draw you in to such an extent that you feel unable to miss a word of the dialogue (or at least the sub-titles).

What a contrast between the characters and personality of the two main detectives - poles apart yet inextricably bound together. Politicians full of outward charm, mastery of spin and easy deceit. The bereaved family are the third part of this outstanding series. The father mostly dark, silent and brooding - his emotions waiting to erupt. The mother so desperately trying to hold herself together after her daughter's murder drawing on every ounce of her physical and mental resources to keep the family together. And the two small brothers, part innocent and part aware of what might have happened to their elder sister. Like another reviewer, I watched the funeral with tears pouring down my cheeks - quite an admission from an unreconstructed follower of football.

Mad Men, rightly, may have got all the drama plaudits so far but everything about the production of The Killing - action, direction, lighting, dialogue - is absolutely right. Hidden away on a minority channel on a Saturday night is anout as close as you can get to wasting an exceptional production. Absolutely unmissable whatever the alternatives. If I could buy the DVD now I would yet there's something satisfying about seeing two episodes a week and then having a sense of anticipation for the next 7 days.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Feb 2011 17:59:28 GMT
Hee hee! Me too! Even if I knew Liverpool had beaten Chelsea 5-0 at the Bridge I'd be watching this.

Posted on 19 Mar 2011 16:21:35 GMT
Zoonie says:
OK, you (and all the other reviewers) have done a good job convincing me to pre-order this DVD. I was half -tempted to pick up The Killing on TV although it is at an advanced stage now, but I decided to wait and see it from the beginning.
See you back here when I have received my package and had time to watch.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2011 10:56:51 GMT
Red Stick says:
Having got home (inevitably from the football and in a state of high excitement because you don't see Wigan win very often) at 19.30 this Saturday I was compelled to go out for dinner, the timing of which coincided with episodes 17 and 18. I recorded these so that I could watch them on one of the many barren nights of TV viewing later in the week.

I still want to but iron will has got to be the order of the day. It's so good that I'm not going to watch the last four episodes so that I can start again when the DVD arrives and work up to what will be the final, unseen, episodes. It's a heightening of pleasure - and maybe it's the unusual emotional cocktail of pain and pleasure that makes this series so compelling.

It's a gamble because The Killing has become cult viewing and it's become compulsory viewing for TV critics in all the posh papers. I'm old enough to be a newspaer junkie so it's a case of eyes averted. Not being a man of money I can't offer you a 'money back if not delighted' guarantee but I really don't think you'll be disappointed and at least the BBC was quick enough to buy the second series before Murdoch and similar predators flashed their cash.

RedStick

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2011 15:42:33 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Mar 2011 15:43:31 GMT
Really? A second series? I didn't know that.

I stopped watching after episode 10. When I ordered it. BBC iPlayer was a temptation, but if I can stop smoking I can resist this temptation.

I think...

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2011 20:26:52 GMT
Red Stick says:
Most temptations in life I find difficult to resist but I did go cold turkey on smoking about 25 years ago and tonight I deleted last night's recording of episodes 17 and 18. Soon I'll be in sackcloth and ashes so that everyone will know of my sacrifice.

Perhaps mind of what Murdoch's men did to get Series 5 of Mad Men, the BBC acted very quickly to buy up the rights to Series 2. Question is, will it get a showing on mainstream channels? I believe there's a 3rd (and final) series but I don't know how far that's got even in Denmark.

My diversion will be re-runs of The Sweeney on ITV4. Different world and different time but, away from macho men, car chases, and the standard police-villain lexicography of the day there's either one I've never seen (increasingly rare) or one with Regan in his rebellious/reflective moods. Same applies to Philip Martin's Gangsters with Maurice Colbourne as a mid 70s anti hero in the shady clubs of Brum and RedStick as the oriental hitman. The one I want to turn up - and it was wiped almost immediately, was an early 1970s ITV series called The Guardians - futuristic Britain as a surveillance state and decidedly unsettling in its day. Of course, it could never happen......

RedStick

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2011 12:47:53 GMT
godzilla78 says:
A third series is being filmed or is about to be filmed and then thats the end of the killing.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2011 13:11:05 GMT
Try going cold turkey on booze! If I were still smoking and drinking I couldn't afford to eat. Literally.

Now I spend it all on books and DVDs. And I'm still malnourished!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2011 13:13:15 GMT
Thanks for that. I've searched for info about series two, but can't find anything. Presumably it won't be released 'til after it's been broadcast.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2011 15:39:09 GMT
Red Stick says:
Thanks for that, Godzilla. It's always difficult to know just when to bring down the curtain and sometimes the actors don't want to take their characters any further. Maybe a third series will be the right place. We'll have to see.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2011 15:45:46 GMT
Red Stick says:
I know the feeling as I do a tour of Lidl, Aldi, Farmfresh and Cool Trader and you can live cheaper in Manchester than in most places. Read in the paper today that the things that really keep us going - books and DVDs and in my case whisky - are going to be dearer after the Budget. Chancellor will close a Channel Island loophole on lower value products which used to be VAT free on the grounds that chasing the money would cost more than what would be raised. Lots of firms exploited the loophole, quite legitimately, and in such numbers that the tax is now deemed worth collecting. Let's hope that the price for The Killing DVD is honoured.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›