Learn more Download now Shop now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

on July 4, 2008
This is not the sort of movie I go for, but having read a few glowing reviews elsewhere about the film and the quality of picture and sound, and given that it is selling for well under £10, I thought I'd try it.
If you don't like musicals then its best to avoid, but I don't mind them and hoped this would be entertaining part of the film.
From the outset, the movie is crammed with songs, maybe one or two could be better or one or two less for me, and a little more dialogue. I felt it became a bit too broadway,but seeing as this is taken from the stageshow I can see how it's turned out that way.
Some people are saying it's the new Grease or some are going OTT and saying it's better, but I can report IMO, it's not in the same Grade.
On the upside though, I was entertained, even though this is bubblegum stuff that's more of a girlie movie for most of it, I wish John Travolta had been the father and not in a fatsuit in drag, maybe he could have danced better then but thankfully Chirtopher Walken and Michelle Pfeifer play very decent parts and keep the movie from being too cheesy. I thought Michelle Pfeifer in particular was great, she has some really good scenes and wished she was in it more.
Other than that the plot gets a little dull sometimes mainly focusing on the musical numbers and could have been crafted a little better with more character involvement.
The Best thing about this BluRay apart from it being great value and having two discs, is it doesn't dissapoint with Picture or Sound Quality,
Each is absoulutely fatastic brimming with detail and colour - by God, the colours are so vibrant it's like your tv has maxed out on it. You might even want to turn down the colour setting on your tv as its so intense,I didn't but felt like it sometimes or putting it on a cool setting, just to make things a little more natural. It wasn't too distracting though and suited the poppy musical numbers.
The sound is awesome and has the full 7.1 treatment, but I don't know what it's like as I had to settle for my 5.1 speakers, though this is quite enough and extremely high quality.
The Extra's are overflowing - great for the little featurettes and extra deleted scenes and songs.
All in all a very entertaining movie - not one for me personally to watch over and over, I much prefer Grease, but I can see quite a lot of kids and girls loving this and wanting to watch it time and time again, although not every song floated my boat, they were fun to watch and most of the actors gave very good performances. I may watch it every so often just for Pfeifer.
Verdict - Well worth the money under a tenner, superb value, Entertaining performers, Good Songs,5 Star picture and sound.
11 comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?