on 23 December 2011
Beautiful New Yorker Melody Wilder is diagnosed with terminal cancer, loses her job and gets dumped by her boyfriend all in the space of one day (very believable), so decides to live out the rest of her days impulsively and without regard for the consequences. She moves into a big appartment and proceeds to fill it with all the material possessions she never had. Saffron Burrows tackles the role with conviction and looks gorgeous swanning around her swanky new pad, having bi-sexual affairs and playing electric guitar in the nude.

The film's twist is ludicrous but necessary since without it the story serves no real purpose. I suppose the writer is suggesting that we should live our lives in the moment and with spontaneity. However, I felt the movie's central message was that if you sleep with delivery drivers all your problems will just fade away. I know for a fact this is untrue because my sister had a one night stand with a bloke from Comet and she ended up with syphillis.

The Guitar is a watchable movie but it's not particularly engaging or involving, and I think many will find it quite tedious to sit through.
12 people found this helpful