on 16 December 2011
I wasn't sure whether to buy this or not. I love chick lit, I love Jane Austen's Emma- but would I love a combination of the two? I was worried it would be an exact replica of the movie 'Clueless' or that it would be a really cheesy boon and mills type romance, but it was neither of these things. It was just a really great book! At first, I found it difficult to shake off the Jane Austen connection- I found myself constantly thinking 'ohhh that's like the part in Emma where...' and that ruined the enjoyment for a bit. However, once I got past that and started enjoying the book as if it was a fresh novel I'd never read before, I became really engrossed and couldn't put the book down. My advice is to try to look at this as a novel in it's own right, rather than as a new adaptation of a classic. It is well written and well modernised so if you put pre conceptions aside, I think you'll really enjoy this. It reads like any good quality chick lit book. I definitely want to read Juliet Archer's second Austen modern adaptation Persuade Me (Darcy & Friends) now and I hope the modern version of pride and prejudice is on the way- I'd love to read that!

NB My only issue with this book is when I read it (November 2011) there were various formatting issues. I reported this to amazon though, so hopefully they will be corrected soon.
What's this?