on 1 January 2012
The reviews from Amazon and Mr Venus on here eloquently describe this fine piece of work from Jane Campion. I am on here merely to register the need many of us have to satiate the obvious deficiences we are left with after the trials of a dreary, wet Xmas holiday season, and having had to put up with seemingly endless 'entertainment' leaving me at least, feeling worse than I started the season. This empathetic, radiant film rescued me and left me enervated, not saddened strangely. I suppose it is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all, and in the hands of Ms. Campion, and the VERY fine actors I was not left bereft, indeed I was strengthened. I am so pleased I bought the DVD a week ago and I'll add it to my library in an easily accessible position.
Some who come to this film may have short attention spans, and may need 're-education'. If you do successfully retrain yourself then a whole new range of pleasures await you. Therefore we need more directors like Ms. Campion. I do hope empathy is not just the province of female directors, but she certainly ups the profile of her sex in this industry.
Now to seek out Andrew Motions Keats biography (on which this film is based)
What's this?