5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, The Field can do no wrong, 20 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Looping State Of Mind (Audio CD)
Like his other 2 albums, this is electronic music at it's best. More in common with Yesterday And Today than From Here We Go Sublime. More guitar samples and shoegaze influences than minimal techno here. When the bass comes in on some of the tracks, they just come alive. Wonderful, relaxing deep sounds. The title track is the best in my opinion; a hypnotic and repetitive groove driving along, subtlety pounding away. You don't want it to end..

'Burned Out' is also a standout track. Really organic sounding backward vocals, mixed over tribal-like beats and a guitar that reminds of I'm On Fire by Springsteen. It is to die for.

I thought his first 2 albums were superb, I didn't think he'd do it again with a third, I was wrong. Fans of Four Tet, M83 Ulrich Schnauss & Booka Shade will also dig this. If you haven't heard of them, buy them as well. Thank You.

10/10

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Nov 2011, 07:46:25 GMT
i agree. i thought their second album was amazing - it was the soundtrack to my summer a couple of years ago, and i didn't want any of those tracks to end, in particular "leave it", though their version of "everyone's gotta learn some time" was also fantastic, and given that beck had done a superb version for eternal sunshine of the spotless mind perhaps a brave choice. i thought that the field would go down a similar track to royksopp, who, with the understanding, produced an album that was the soundtrack to several of the previous summers, but after this i no longer enjoyed their style. this just takes off where the second album finished and i love it. looking forward to the fourth offering although given their current output that may not be until at least 2013...

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2011, 17:13:16 GMT
Red Kremlin says:
Hi J.J., It was also my Summer soundtrack and 'Leave It' was also my favourite from that album, 'Silent' is my all time favourite though. What a track. I knew a lot of acts had covered 'Everybody's got to learn sometime' but I didn't know Beck done a good version, thanks for that. By the way check out the album 'Lucky Shiner' by Gold Panda. You'll love it.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2011, 13:24:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Nov 2011, 13:25:26 GMT
do you think the 'are you gay?' and 'justin beiber' vocal snippets let the album down a bit? Feels like he's taking the mickey a bit to me. I mean, with only one musical trick to play (the whole repetitiveness layers thing) should he really be seen to be mocking the very people that buy his music with such sillyness?
I prefer Ulrich Schnauss - his music seems a lot more earnest (it's more beautiful, less annoying, and avoids ridiculous sample usage) and is therefore surely more likeable than The Field?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2011, 13:43:52 GMT
ulrich schnauss is ok, but when going for the minimal thing i much prefer wolfgang voigt in his "gas" alias - he really is the master. the whole idea of this type of music is the layering and subtle tonal changes - it can be very dull if you are not in the mood, and there are lots of artists that i just can't listen as the repetitiveness goes too far. that being said voigt's zauberberg and konigsforst can be listened to at any time.
as far as taking the mickey, i don't know. there are lots of artists that are often derided for some of their output - mike patton springs to mind - but its all down to personal taste. i think mike patton is simply amazing and pushes musical boundaries, and as john peel said - its the audience that stifles an artists creativeness - so rather than judging whether they are taking the mickey or not, listen to it or don't depending on whether it simply appeals to you or not.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2011, 17:41:35 GMT
Red Kremlin says:
Can't say I feel that way, the only track I'm not overly keen on is Sweet Slow Baby..it just irritates me, maybe a grower though. Not really sure what you are referring to with the 'Justin Bieber vocal snippets' either. The vocals on Burned Out actually reminded me of the backwards songs the Stone Roses recorded.

I agree Ulrich Schnauss composes beautiful music, I'm a huge fan. But I need to be in the mood, I can listen to any of the Field's albums, anytime. So I find The Field more 'likeable' I suppose. Pointless comparing them though. Enjoy both.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2011, 09:10:55 GMT
I also think sweet slow baby is the worst on the album and a very poor way to end it.
On the later stages of 'then it's white' you can't help but notice 'justin...beiber' said slowly over and over.
I suppose i just think I rather listen to ulrich - he music seems far less formulaic than the field. If i want something with a beat there are plenty of better alterntives, IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2011, 15:41:37 GMT
Red Kremlin says:
Ah right I see what you mean now! Surely it's, 'Just a fever' and not 'Justin Bieber', I hope so.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›