Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful - but much preferred the original, 10 May 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Special Edition) [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
I was thrilled to receive this in my Christmas stocking last December. E.T. remains one of my favourite films ever - I vividly remember going to see it with my parents and sister when I was 8 years old, and being utterly captivated and obsessed.
I've actually only seen it about 4 times in my life. I like to come to it fresh at each viewing. I love it because I think it's a wonderful story, flawlessly told.
I was a little disappointed by the remastered version - I don't agree with Spielberg's assertion that the changes are discreet and almost unnoticeable. For someone who has only seen the film a handful of times, I could spot the changes a mile away.
I'm not a fan of CGI - I think it makes many modern films look utterly fake and soulless. The beauty of E.T. is that the special effects were merely secondary to this timeless tale, and very adequete. Touching them up makes the film a teeny bit blander. What harm to leave them as they were? The original film has aged beautifully. I especially take umbrage to dickeying with E.T.'s face - making him too cutesy and removing much of his poignancy. Seeing the extra bathroom scene was interesting, but I agree with its original deletion. It just didn't sit with the tone of the rest of the film - it was unnecessarily comical.
It was good to see Spielberg's new director's cut, but I'm surprised at him for feeling the need to alter his most personal film. It was perfect the first time - so why change it, and water it down slightly?
This 20th anniversary box set does include the original film, though, and I've more or less decided to only watch this version in future. I also enjoyed all the little documentary pieces about the making of the film and the reunion of the cast. So I am still thrilled to have the DVD - just a little underwhelmed by the new and 'improved' version!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Sep 2011 14:01:03 BDT
Stusie says:
I'm trying to find an original DVD version of this film - before the 2002 edit. It's hard work! They actually went to the bother of using CGI to remove guns from the hands of federal agents and replace them with walkie talkies. Really? I say it again. REALLY?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2011 19:31:38 BDT
blupblup says:
Any luck?

Have you found the original on DVD anywhere?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2011 21:43:03 GMT
Simon F. says:
Original only appears to be available on the now deleted and very expensive 3 DVD set which features both versions. May be best to track down an original VHS video....

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2011 20:41:52 GMT
I wish I'd bought the version with the two films back in 2003 when I had the chance!

Anyway hopefully the original version will be on the blu-ray edition when it's released sometime in 2012.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›