on 18 September 2013
In 1989, I was in my early teens. I used to hang around in the record stores all the time. In one of them, they had managed to get their hands on a box set called "The History Of The House Sound Of Chicago". I was really into House Music at the time (too), and although I never read the track list, I really wanted to buy that vinyl collection. I expected it to be packed with hardcore Trax and DJ International stuff, records that never came to my home town in Sweden. But I simply couldn't afford to buy it.

I saw it in 2nd hand shops a few times afterwords, at even higher prices. Oh, I really wanted it.

Several years later, a friend got hold of an badly compressed mp3 version of the complete 15 CD version. It soon turned out to be quite a good collection of 80's dance music: Proto-disco Boogie. English/Dutch Collage House. House remixes of Pop songs. Italo. OK, there were some proper Chicago House tracks but they were a minority of the tracks.

What I really wanted to buy in that store more than 20 years ago, was this collection. This is 100 % proper Acid House and Deep House, most of it from the Trax label. It is a carefully made selection of both well-known (well, relatively) tracks like Mr Fingers "Can You Feel IT" and Frankie Knuckles "Baby Wants To Ride", and really obscure tracks. No fillers, though, all are quality tracks. Well, I do miss some tracks like Mr Lee "Pump Up Chicago" and a few DJ International songs. But you can't have it all.

Add a thick booklet with all the information you can possibly ask for regarding the songs and a in-depth look at the house scene in Chicago during the late 80's.

As always when Harmless makes a collection like this, the sound quality is great, especially since some of the songs are transferred from 12" vinyl.

Just one thing makes me slightly disappointed: The posters pictured in the booklet are from UK events in the 00's, not from the period in Chicago.

If you are interested in the original acid house scene, this is the box for you. And the price is just a tenth of that 1988 box set!
22 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.