on September 2, 2006
Have recently purchased this camera to replace my Panasonic FZ-20. I purchased the Panny because of it's standard Leica lens as I wanted the best. But to be honest, I was always a little disappointed with the results from it, especially when using the zoom to it's maximum. I mean, what's the point of buying a camera with 12 x Optical if you aren't going to put it to use. The images I got from it were never as sharp as I expected them to be, always a little "fuzzy"....

My first reaction with the Canon? It knocks spots off of the Panny in this respect without a shadow of doubt. I have taken quite a few pictures at maximum zoom and printed them out and the quality is fantastic. Pin sharp.

The zoom is almost silent in it's operation and a lot, lot quicker than the Panasonics in going from wide angle to telephoto. It's taking some getting used to!

I haven't had much time to play around with the manual settings, most of my piccies have been taken in "auto" mode but this camera never lets me down. The autofocus is very quick to get a lock, with a lot less "hunting" than my previous camera.

Downloading images onto the PC is a doddle too.

Most buyers of this camera will be tempted by it's zoom capabilities. Based on my experience with the camera to date, they won't be disappointed.
0Comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?