on 5 February 2010
Wonderful! What a crazy combination - but it works! This must have been a very interesting project for the Williams Fairey Brass Band and one which they have tackled in a very professional way - I think it was important that a top band worked on this project otherwise it could have fallen totally flat on it's face. While the 'repetitive' nature of some of the music means that the main challenges were not always technical ones there must have been some big challenges nonetheless playing a style of music which characteristically has little in common with typical arrangements for brass bands - and some very interesting rhythms to boot!

Who would I recommend this CD to?
-I would recommend it to folk who enjoy brass bands (although I would imagine that it would really make most of my fellow brass band members look at me askance if I leant them this CD - they are a bit on the conservative side bless them!).
-I would recommend it to folk who would normally never think of listening to brass bands - let alone actually listen to them. A colleague at work borrowed the CD, he is not interested in brass bands but enjoyed it very much - his comments included that he didn't think all the songs sounded very much like the originals, that the music is full of 'energy' and that it is growing on him - the more he listens to the CD the more he enjoys it (I would agree totally with that last comment!).
- I would recommend it to folk to folk who have no interest in brass bands OR acid music - try it and see!!! It is very cool! Fun - full of energy!!

I just wish we could play some of these in my brass band - boy would I have fun playing those powerful and menacing bass lines :-D

'What Time Is Love?' has to be my favouite because of the sheer power and energy of this piece. This one does sound technically challenging too - especially those runs ... I haven't come across an arrangement for brass band which has hit me with it's sheer drive and energy since the brass band I play with played a number called 'Månemannen' by the Norwegian group 'Vamp' (check youtube) - the reponse we got playing that was wonderful you could just tell the audience had really enjoyed it!

If you enjoyed this CD, don't normally listen to brass music but are curious and would like to try some more check out Youngblood Brass (hip hop) and Hypnotic Brass.

Enjoy!!
0Comment| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details