on 23 January 2012
From the first chapter, I was amazed by the book `Girl, Missing'. Sophie McKenzie leaves you hanging at the end of each chapter to the point where you feel the need to accelerate through it. All the chapters are short with a gripping ending and I found myself gasping for breath whilst turning the page to a new chapter.

Lauren is an ambitious character with drive. She is a bit self- centered at times, but is able to show strong emotions towards others. She is very determined throughout the book and is hungry for adventures. She doesn't mind throwing herself into dangerous situations, as long as she's with the people who love her. Her best friend Jam is a very caring and loyal person who will do anything and everything for Lauren. He will also climb the highest mountain, just to be with her. His love for her is strong and I find that very touching.

Lauren spends time looking for her birth parents, but her adoptive parents don't think she's mature enough to know the full story. She imagines that one day, when she's with her real parents, her life will be perfect. But when she gets a taste of reality, Lauren finds out that her life can't possibly be perfect. So much happens after she gets kidnapped again, got left in the woods, and then kidnapped AGAIN. She also decides that she doesn't completely love her birth parents and they don't really love her either; they love the three year old that went missing. With all these exciting events, you always have to read the next chapter to find out your answers.

The genre of this book is teenage novel and realistic fiction combined. It's a book that I probably would have to hear about from someone else to pick it up. Now that I have read it, I want to read the sequel and other ones like it, especially by Sophie McKenzie. Anyone, any age could read this book and love it.

`Girl, Missing' is an amazing book that I would recommend to anyone who is interested in mysteries. I probably won't read it again, as I know what happens, but I shall definitely read the sequel and any others like it. I give it a 5/5 and I really hope that everyone will at least try to read the beginning and maybe even love it as much as I do!

The book is a very well written one that includes tragedies, romance, mystery, build- up of tension and suspense that drips off the page, I really enjoyed it. I really hope I remember how much I actually got into that book. I would have liked Lauren to choose between her parents, just to add a little more mystery and excitement. Every night, I would stay up late to read just a bit more.

My favourite bit of suspense was:

`...I heard a noise outside the back door.

My blood ran cold.

Reaching behind me, I turned off the light switch. As the room plunged into darkness, a low, hunched figure scurried past the back door. My heart thudded. It looked too low to be human. But too bulky to be a cat or a fox. Maybe it was a bear. A small bear. Could bears get this far into town? I had no idea.

The figure stood up. It was human. Hooded. I sucked in my breath, too shocked for a second even to cryout. And the, just as I opened my mouth to yell, the figure drew back his hood.

And smiled at me.

It was Jam.'
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse| Permalink