on 4 April 2012
I only came across the album because I heard the John Grant version of Angel Eyes on the Dermot O'Leary Saturday Sessions album, and loved it, so I checked out more. And when I discovered his band had done a cover of what is in my eyes, one of the greatest songs ever written - Where The Boys Are, I just knew I had to get the CD. There is something so mournful about Grant's voice that it makes you want to cry. His cover of For Emily by Simon and Garfunkel is so downbeat, I actually had tears in my eyes. I absolutely loathe Patsy Cline, and yet he makes Strange sound fresh and new.

If you want something to lift your mood, I'd avoid this album like the plague. But if you want reflective, beautiful music that puts a new spin on traditional songs, then I'd say buy buy buy. Just make sure you have a box of tissues at hand!
What's this?