Top Contributor: Children's BooksTOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 October 2013
Seth drowns in the sea. He dies. And then he wakes up.

To discuss the plot in much detail would spoil the book for a reader. Seth wakes up in a world he knows, but not the one he died in. Why is he there? Is he alone? Is he really dead?

I found this intriguing. The revelations, as they come, are shocking and well played. The twists are unexpected (or they were to me!), despite the ideas being seen before in film and literature.

The writing is tense, descriptive, playful. We see snippets from Seth's life interspersed with his new surroundings, seeing his back story and reasons for his drowning. The secondary characters are well drawn, rounded and at times funny.

The ending is open enough to allow a sequel, and I certainly plan to look out for one.

Even the cover is delightfully put together, teasing and tasteful.

I was never going to say no to this, having been thoroughly impressed with A Monster Calls and the Chaos Walking trilogy. I believe Patrick Ness really is one of our most talented writers for Young Adults writing today.
5 people found this helpful