Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop Women's Shop Men's

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlocked Huawei E586, 16 Sept. 2012
Day 1) I bought this device back in late June 2012 when it became rapidly apparent how absolutely awful Vodafone's data service was and how even worse was the support - with the Vodafone dongle. The Dongle expired and I've today [mid September 2012] moved over to the Unlocked Huawei E586. I had bought three three-month '3' PAYG SIMs 3 Original Broadband Ready to Go 3GB Preloaded Data Sim for Mobile Devices and just dropped one into the already charged device. My MacBook Pro found it immediately (press the button on the side of the device to bring up the password on its screen) and it worked straight away at what seemed a blazing speed. TweetDeck was turning over at the normal rate. Emails went back and forth. This was all a bit of a surprise as all networks have very poor cover where I live. OK it worked outdoors anyway.

With a 3 SIM it really is very easy and I note you have to use alternative settings with other networks (see below) and with a local SIM with networks abroad. There are easily found sources for these APNs on the Net.

The Huawei E586 is sleek and really very small and pocketable. There is a front screen and two buttons on the side - a power button and a key button that brings up information including the password. You also get a couple of cables (USB to mini USB), a mains charger and an optional charger cradle. The book of words is minimal to say the least.

I've also dug out a tiny cheap camera case Lowepro Altus 10 Small Camera Pouch to slip the Huawei E586 device into. I'm sorry there wasn't anything provided but similar such cases can be sourced for under £4. (See uploaded photo.)

Some people complain of the life of the supplied 1500mAH battery and I note you can get a much larger battery [3600mAh] with an alternative case back (as it makes the whole thing fatter) such as eXt-Power Huawei E-5-I Battery for E586 (3600mAh, replaces HB4F1, Black) I don't think this will be too much of a problem for my use as I can clearly power and/or recharge the Huawei E586 using a USB cigarette lighter adapter from the car or in the car via my HyperJuice car adapter powered MacBook Pro.

Small point but a nice one is that there was always a worry of accidental mechanical damage to a dongle sticking out of your laptop; no such worries with this device.

You can supply wifi connections for up to five devices (phones, tablets etc) or should you wish, you can plug this device with the supplied cable straight into a USB port on a Laptop and use it like a dongle. Accessing the control interface is a bit like any modem using a browser via its own address 192.168.1.1

My use tends to be in out of the way places so I'll be testing how good 3's coverage is. I like that this is supposedly future-proofed in that it will work on 4G networks.

Day 2) Using the Huawei E586 in the wilds of Surrey (so not very wild), I got a good solid signal and my MacBook Pro was behaving very nearly as well as it does on my home network. The device is SO easy to use. So much better than my redundant Vodafone USB Mobile Broadband Internet PAYG Dongle. Loaded a picture I'd just taken online for Twitter with no problem. Bliss. The Mac needed recharging from the car but the Huawei E586 never did.

Day 9) In an urban area I did a speed test and I was getting better performance on my laptop than with a wired ADSL connection at home: 7.21 Mbps down & 2.34 Mbps up.

Day 30) My Gloucestershire hotel had no Sky News (or BBC News Channel) on the TV. The Huawei E586 on 3 gave me a perfectly adequate signal to stream Sky News before breakfast. I also got a variable but perfectly usable service in more remote areas in the upper parts of the Severn estuary. Good enough to use Google Earth, for instance.

I've also sprung for the large 3600mAh Huawei E-5-I Battery for that extra battery duration. It makes the unit fatter and it will no longer go in the power cradle but otherwise works just fine. (See uploaded photo.)

Day 44) Worked perfectly in the Ouse Washes - again in the middle of nowhere - up to streaming Sky News and BBC News Channel.

Day 93) I used the Huawei E586 all day along the edges of the North Norfolk coast and I got perfect connections everywhere except Cley which was my first black spot.

Day 94) My first 3 Sim expired and I dropped in a new one. No change needed, it worked perfectly immediately.

A few days ago [November 2013] I was out at the zoo with a friend. I was using my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phone and she was using her wifi-iPad and sending a picture to her friends. She remarked how great the public wifi was which she had been using without thinking. Then I reached into my pocket and switched off the Huawei device which her iPad had once "met" before. That's when she realised it hadn't been public wifi at all. So transparent to use.

Settings for other networks
-----------------------

Orange
APN: orangeinternet Username: 'leave blank' Password: 'leave blank'

O2
APN (contract): mobile.o2.co.uk
APN (PAYG): m-bb.o2.co.uk Username: web Password: web

T-Mobile
APN: general.t-mobile.uk Username: 'leave blank' Password: 'leave blank'

Three
APN: 3internet Username: 'leave blank' Password: 'leave blank'

Tesco Mobile (uses the O2 network)
APN: prepay.tesco-mobile.com Username: tescowap Password: password

Virgin Mobile (uses the T-Mobile network)
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk Username: user Password: 'leave blank'

BT Mobile (uses the Vodafone network)
APN: btmobile.bt.com Username: bt Password: bt

ASDA Mobile (uses the Vodafone network)
APN: asdamobiles.co.uk Username: web Password: web

Manx Telecom (Isle of Man)
APN: 3gpronto Username: 'leave blank' Password: 'leave blank'

Sure Mobile (Guernsey & Isle of Man)
APN: internet Username: 'leave blank' Password: 'leave blank'

Wave Telecom (Guernsey)
APN: pepper Username: 'leave blank' Password: 'leave blank'

Airtel Vodafone (Guernsey)
APN: airtel-ci-gprs.com Username: 'leave blank' Password: 'leave blank'

Sure Mobile (Jersey)
APN: internet Username: 'leave blank' Password: 'leave blank'

Jersey Telecom (Jersey)
APN: pepper Username: 'leave blank' Password: 'leave blank'

Airtel Vodafone (Jersey)
APN: airtel-ci-gprs.com Username: 'leave blank' Password: 'leave blank'

GiffGaff (uses the O2 network)
APN: giffgaff.com Username: giffgaff Password: password

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Nov 2012, 10:50:30 GMT
Liz Chukwu says:
What an amazingly candid review of a product I'm in the process of considering due to my lifestyle. Thank you Simon :-), I think I'm convinced!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2012, 12:59:11 GMT
Thanks. Though my use is distinctly intermittent. I've never had to rely on it full time.

Posted on 3 Mar 2013, 07:44:04 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 3 Mar 2013, 07:45:03 GMT]

Posted on 5 Mar 2013, 17:57:55 GMT
Will Hay says:
If people who write reviews like this were running the country we wouldn't be in so much s***.
Many thanks from a very grateful, albeit new E586 user.

Posted on 6 Apr 2013, 23:20:35 BST
J. MCMAHON says:
Really great, thorough and in depth review. Thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort to do this.

Posted on 7 May 2013, 11:27:36 BST
andytvcams says:
How refreshing it is to read an in depth review Simon.
It has been a great help and one that for me im eternally grateful.

Again thank you for all your time and effort.

Posted on 14 May 2013, 20:35:31 BST
Matt J says:
I have to add my thanks to an excellent review, which has helped me to decide and subsequently place my order. Like many others who use the net to source goods and check other opinions before purchasing items, this review was invaluable. It is also much appreciated that you took the time to enter the various codes for the different SIM cards, which saves a lot of trawling on the net, so again many thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2013, 21:33:12 BST
Thanks. Glad it's appreciated.

Posted on 9 Jun 2013, 09:37:03 BST
[Deleted by the author on 9 Jun 2013, 09:37:42 BST]

Posted on 9 Jun 2013, 09:38:05 BST
Thanks for the in-depth review Simon. Have you used yours outside UK please? My main use would be in Africa as I am on a contract at the moment. All the networks here are very poor and it would be good if I would not need to do much to use it here. Thanks for your help.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›