on 20 August 2011
I bought the external hard drive off the Amazon website around about March this year (2011). Initially I was very pleased with it as it provided more than enough space to back up my CD collection, DVD collection and photos. During the following month, I moved temporarily into a new place and immediately the drive started acting up. Every time I would move my laptop around a little bit, the hard drive would temporarily disconnect from the laptop and reconnect - usually in a matter of 1 second. But that's enough for it exit out of folders, and screw up my iTunes (you know when iTunes has that little exclamation mark in a circle next to the song and refuses to play it - yeh that immediately happens to the 3,000 songs I've transferred onto the hard drive so far...).

When I moved back to my old flat in April again, the problem seemed to go away and I just assumed therefore that it was a fault with the power socket at the other place. However, it started happening again at my old flat, albeit not as regularly. Now I've moved away and the hard drive is acting up even more than ever. Then slightest movement - literally just the vibrations from typing it seems - causes that momentary disconnection. Just pushing in the USB cable into the USB socket in the laptop or the drive itself causes it to disconnect.

I've tried securing the USB cable in the socket better with sellotape and white tack but it has no effect. Now the disconnections are having an effect on the performance of my laptop in that the applications (namely my browser and iTunes) crash temporarily, and the laptop slows down immensely. I cannot work out if it is an issue with drive itself, the USB cable (which is what I think it is), or the USB ports in my laptop (although my wireless mouse has no issue in any of the ports, so why would the hard drive?).

I have not treated it roughly or poorly at all, so any damage caused by transport would make me think that this isn't durable at all. Or if it is a manufacturing problem (which a lot of these reviews seem to be about), then quality control at the factory is certainly an issue. I am not sure if the product is still covered by a guarantee or if it is even repairable (especially as I don't want my files deleted from there).

I would still recommend this to people but be very aware that you could end up with a dodgy one.
What's this?