3.0 out of 5 stars Views from a half arsed cook, 9 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Nigella Express (Hardcover)
A misssed opportunity. I think that this book demonstrates Nigella's complete lack of awareness of the pressure of most people's daily and working lives. Many of the recipies are lovely and probably very time saving if you happen to live in palatial surroundings in central London and are married to one of the richest men in the UK. If however like me you are staggering through daily life and the thought of entertaining people on a Wednesday night would make you reach for the machete then this is not the book for you. I feel that this book was a missed opportunity - there are plenty of inspired time saving recipies out there (I know, I have nicked them all from my mother!). Nigella has made the mistake of assuming that her readers share her rarefied world and her budget - is it really helpful to suggest that you too can save time when providing a feast for friends by going to your local deli and spending hundreds of pounds? More emphasis on quick meals using store cupboard faithfuls would have made far more impact on my domestic routine.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Sep 2008, 03:54:02 BST
I. Brown says:
Thank you!........I value your honesty

Posted on 5 Oct 2008, 14:16:16 BST
Housewife 57 says:
Yes, I just watched the 'entertaining from the Deli' idea on the 'Nigella Express' TV programme and wondered just how much all that beautiful food had cost!
It certainly must be more than my weekly shopping bill.
Having said that, I find Nigella the most inspiring of the plethora of cooks/chefs out there.
She gives me hope that I too can present a decent meal to my family instead of just reaching for the same old pack of mince and pasta sauce or frozen fish and chips

Posted on 2 Jan 2009, 00:55:54 GMT
I completely agree. I don't live near exclusive deli's or markets, nor do I have endless wads of cash to purchase the quick step time saving pantry fare she customarily relies on for her express dishes. where is the innovation in that?, anyone could do that if they had the money. The fat content in her recipes also makes them prohibitive for me...I don't want to gain a pound every meal.

Posted on 31 Mar 2009, 11:52:40 BST
E.Meredith says:
Loved this review. Made me laugh out loud, which, believe me, takes some doing first thing in the morning. Please could H.L Westgate publish his or her mothers inspired time-saving recipes so we won't need to bother with Nigella?

Posted on 10 Apr 2009, 10:25:20 BST
Rachel Short says:
Read the book - there are great recipes in there which are cheap and easy to do...pork chops with gnocchi (cost for 3 about £6.00; I use half fat creme fraiche and not double cream - a bit more if I add spinach); hunter style chicken (cheap, as it uses chicken thighs and uses up the last of a wine bottle); steak marinaded in lemon and thyme; nutella pancakes are a constant hit as well.

I live in Belgium and can find all the ingredients I need for this book at a reasonable price; I cook from it when I'm back in the UK visiting my mum, and the cost isn't much. This book is great, and I have recommended it to loads of people who want to cook fast but well. It has more than earned its place in my cookbook bookcase.

Posted on 20 Jun 2009, 11:18:00 BST
Ms. Ann W says:
yes i agree with the comment by rachel. many of the recipes can be made cheaply by just swapping a few of the ingredients for alternatives. u dont have to be going to spitalfields to recreate the food. it wont taste as good but fleh!
i wouldnt follow the recipes word for word otherwise u will end up spending a fortune

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2010, 18:27:53 GMT
Tamaartje says:
Like the ladies above say, there are many cheap recipes and it's realy easy to swap expensive ingredients for cheap ones. I try to keep my meals (for a family) under 4 pounds and can easily manage that with most of these recipes. Ofcourse some, like the deli ones, might be harder to manage, but then, can you really expect every recipe in a cookbook to cater to your specific needs? Maybe someone with a bigger budget is really appreciative of those tips...who knows.
In almost every cookbook you're going to run into recipes that don't appeal to you or are beyond your budget. The book is called 'Express', not 'Cheap and easy' we're not really being tricked into thinking otherwise. I do agree the recipes tend to be pretty fattening and also many of them seem to be missing 1 of the 3 foodgroups. That to me is the downside to the book, but then again, Nigellas isn't exactly known for her tiny bottom :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2012, 13:56:41 GMT
Collydog says:
If you find Nigella's recipes expensive, you should try watching Ina Garten. I love her programmes but I do laugh when she says she buys several pounds worth of lobster ready prepared as she hates her kitchen filling up with steam when she had to boil the lobsters herself. Bless her, she's very entertaining though!

Posted on 29 Jul 2013, 22:53:02 BST
Absolutely don't agree with this - she considers everything including the washing up (which most male chefs don't) and many of her recipes (chicken cacciatore for example) can be made very cheaply.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›