on 3 June 2008
I was lucky enough to see ES live twice in my lifetime. Once at a scooter rally in the 80s, and once, a year or so before his untimely parting from us, in Peterborough.

I saw him perform at the Cresset Centre in Peterborough along with Freda Payne and Martha Reeves on the "dancing in the street" tour. No disrespect to Freda or Martha (they were brilliant), but it was Edwin's show. It was an all-seater venue, but as soon as we'd heard the first few bars of "stop her on sight" there wasn't a flat seat in the house!

A more unassuming man you couldn't wish to meet - despite his immense talent. He shook hands with us all after the show and seemed genuinely surprised at our adulation. The man was pure class and a true gentleman.

I will always count myself fortunate at having shaken the man's hand. Even if he hadn't had the voice of a god, you would have wanted Edwin Starr as your best friend.

We miss you Ed, but you left us some fantastic soul!
0Comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?