VINE VOICEon 29 June 2008
Watershed came out on the day I began a two-week holiday abroad. I was looking forward to hearing it on my return.

I'd loved Ghost Reveries, thought it had a dark beauty. Sounded mature. I knew there was a line-up change on the new album, and wondered how it would affect the music. I trusted that it would work.

It has for me. It took a little while and a few plays as usual. Different from Ghost Reveries. Expectations are unsettled by the contrast of the first two tracks. But the bleak tone is set. This is a dark album, but full of passion.

And for me, as an old (and new) King Crimson fan, it's great to hear a band confident enough to use some early Crimson influences. Some bands have shown influences from later Crim line-ups (e.g. The Mars Volta) but I love hearing the King Crimson echoes in Opeth, stronger here than ever before but fitting in and adding perfectly to Opeth's genuinely 21st century schizoid sound.

And the new guitarist's great. Some lovely stuff, but also crushing rhythm. New drummer is fantastic. And the rest of the band are so good.

I'm not normally a "lyric" person but I've been noticing them on this album in places. Bleak and dark and simple. Making me think about them. But the music comes first.

I'm not playing anything else at the moment. This'll do!
What's this?