2.0 out of 5 stars Be afraid - BE VERY AFRAID - APPALLING, 12 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Panasonic DMP-BD75EB-K Ultra Fast Booting 2D Blu-Ray Disc Player (Old model) (Electronics)
The last DMP I bought was a Philips, which broke and gave up after just over a year (funny that). However, it was better than this. I sent an explicit list of features I required to the shipping company when they contacted me [i'm not available daytime, mostly] referring to the wide variety of formats it needed to play and functions I required.
Whilst it does play most of the formats, with the exception of half of the mp4 files I had made my movies into for compatability with the Philips unit (I think it's the AVC layer of the Mpeg format, layer 10 it does not have codecs for, and doesn't know it either so won't ever download it during any software upgrade) the unit has a gazillion drawbacks.
1. It doesn't play files in any kind of playlist, or have any function to do so. It returns to the root menu after every single thing you watch. Irritating beyond belief.
2. Further irritating than that, and something I specifically asked about - the USB port, whilst considerably sturdier than the Philips, hates USB hubs, though it will play THROUGH one - but it will only house ONE USB stick at a time. That's right - you can use a USB hub, but you'll still only be able to use one port at a time. To change ports, you must first remove the stuck you were using, replace that stick with the new one, and wait for it to recognise you've put a new one in (if you have a drive of a TB or similar, this can take 30 seconds or more. It is promoted on its fast loading for BluRays - which is, basically, true, kind of. But for USB access it's appalling.
Let me recap that: you CAN use a USB hub with it, but IT WON'T ACT AS A USB HUB, it will still only read one of the sticks you have plugged in and furthermore, upon power up, it doesn't recognise a USB stick already plugged in. So you gotta take it out AGAIN and put it back in.
3. The power button is placed in one corner on the top of the unit, so if you put, for instance, a book, on top of the unit, you will more than likely turn it off. Then you have to replug-in the USB stick, of course.
4. The shipping company have not been at all helpful with regards my enquiries with regards these flaws: I asked them which kind of USB hub I needed to make it work properly, they suggested I PHONE PANASONIC, and never followed up on this. Also, retards they are, and also that i am, they flogged me a floor model which has probably been used already more than a year, so I'm not hopeful of the life expectancy. I know this because they forgot to reset the box to factory settings, and when starting network services, I saw plain as day - "Floor Model" - as the already programmed settings.

I feel genuinely ripped off by this transaction, and impotent to do anything about it. The shipping company told me they were giving me an upgrade to the newer model at no extra cost, which I guess is just shoptalk for "I'm going to stitch this sucker up like a kipper and there's nothing he'll be able to do about it".
Also, I can tell Amazon aren't going to do a s****1ng thing about me getting ripped off either, as THEIR idea of customer service seems to be throwing my delivery of computer parts down a flight if outside stairs when I'm not looking then not ringing the bell and not even leaving a note to let me know they were even here.
Poor quality/featured unit.
Very bad quality service.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]