on 10 June 2013
From the very start of this book you realise that the author has done his research and it shows right the way through to the end. This gives you confidence as you observe him piece his argument together in a logical fashion.

Isn't it an indictment of the Catholic religion that I learned more about the bible from Peter Lockhart's book than I did during twelve or thirteen years of religious instruction in a Catholic Primary and Secondary school? Of all the religion books my mother had to buy me for school, she never had to buy the bible. Could this be because we might start asking questions about the fables and inconsistencies in the 'holy book', especially as we progressed through Secondary school. Not really in the 50's and 60's (my time in school), as we were priest-ridden back then. But hey, they weren't taking any chances and if we grew up in awe, and in the control, of religion and its acolytes, maybe we'd remain that way for life! Many did and still do.

Since reading Peter Lockhart's book I have been motivated to read Marcus Aurelius (Meditations) and to purchase a bible!

Even if it was the provocative title which led you to consider reading this book, open it and it will open your eyes and mind. Science not superstition for the 21st century!
Now, what's the next book Peter?
6 people found this helpful