on 5 January 2014
I bought this book mainly because I love mystery thrillers, and I love Christopher Pike.

Finding his endorsement on the cover of the book pushed me to read it as I own almost 95% of his books and love them all. I love his style of writing, I love his ideas, his plots, his characters, everything! In fact, this book sounded a bit like Pike's Slumber Party, so I was excited to get back to that genre.

This, however, was a major disappointment. You could tell it was a predictable story line from the synopsis, but I was surprised at the bad writing, the weak character development, and the absolute ridiculousness of the whole situation. This book read more like a movie script, one that would probably flop in the box office.

The characters were not introduced properly, it was filled with stereotype, Meg and Minnie (who happen to be best friends for reasons beyond my comprehension) could not stop hating on each other (Minnie out loud, Meg in her mind), there was the boy everyone likes and is fighting over, a bullied student who wants revenge on everyone, 3 chapters into the book people were dying, and it honestly did not look like anyone was phased by all the murders!

I was a little confused by the two men who were on the ferry, I mean they seemed to know that something was going on in the island, and yet they dropped off the girls and left them? Also, since the murders only began that night, why were they apprehensive? They seemed to know something that we didn't at that point, and yet it was never brought up again. And what's worse is that after all the murders were over and there were only 2 survivors left, they seemed just about ready to get on with their lives as if they never witnessed their best friends being brutally murdered.

It was all very weakly developed and executed, and the language and writing were just as weak. I honestly wanted to give up reading it a few chapters in only because of the poor writing, but I soldiered on because I always try to finish whatever book I start.

I thought even less of the book when I read the reviews and was informed that it's a total rip-off of Agatha Christie's novel.

Disappointed. Mostly that Christopher Pike thought this book was worthy of his testimonial.
What's this?