3.0 out of 5 stars Is it any good?, 17 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS3) (Video Game)
Is it any good?

Well, that depends.

If you are after a great campaign game, this aint it. 3 2-hour sessions and the main game was complete for me, and worse than any of the Modern Warfare ones or Black ops 1 (didnt have the second one). Certainly not as good, on any count. Story, gameplay or graphics.

Having just played The Last Of Us, for the first time on PS3 I thought the graphics looked terrible. TLOU looked great, and I was expecting this to come closish. Not really an issue as we arent here for graphics. I have gone back to MW2 and there is a huge improvement but you really hope for a bit more from such a blockbuster release.

Squads and extinction don't really appeal to me. They seem like filler for the lack of campaign. But if you like that kind of thing then theyre fine.

Now to the meat of the game. I could overlook all of the previous for the multiplayer. It's the only reason I buy the games. So, again, is it any good?

Well the short answer is yes, if you only like camping and sniping.

If you don't, then you are in for a tough time. The maps are huge, dense, complex and suited to hiding. You can run around for ages and not find someone, only to be sniped.

I don't suck at the game. I'm decent at this one, but really dont enjoy it. Im pretty damn good at MW2/3 (usually one of the best players in every match). This is just so people don't accuse me of being rubbish.

The problem is, that this game is not suited to how I play. I enjoy tight battles, lots of shooting and I have no problem in being killed 10-15 times a game if I can get 20-25 kills. Give me a mid-range gun, red dot sight and I can run around for hours getting in the heart of a battle and getting a few nice long distant kills.

Thats a real struggle in this game. I cant use the red dot sight any more. I have to use a scope because I cant get close enough to the players to get them with the red dot. It has changed how I play the game, and it has changed it for the worst.

Ive given it some time, but this morning decided to go back to MW2 just to compare. That game is so much more fun.

So how good the game is depends on how you use it. If you like to play lots of different games, modes, etc (I dont, I stick with team deathmatch) then theres lots to do. If you like long range, slower, big maps, camping and sniping then this game is for you.

It's almost as if the makers know they can have bigger maps, 3 story buildings, more games and they want to cram it all in, especially going into the next gen - but they have forgotten what made the MW games so good. Thats the problem when technology advances, it is far too tempting to take the simplicity of what works so well and try and add to it.

I didn't even like black ops because it was only slightly different. This has gone even further than that. A shame really.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]