on 13 August 2011
This is a fantastic idea. I spotted a work colleague with something similar last year and that was the first time I had ever seen one. I was using a standard water proofed canvas twin pannier and even so, water would still find it's way in. I cycle 12 miles a day, so I thought a plastic tail box was a must.

I looked around the shops and they were about £45, when I saw this on Amazon I thought it was a very affordable price.

The positive points about this truly outweigh the negatives. The negatives can be remedied in one way or another.

Positives:-
it's completely plastic and has a lip around the edges of the lid to prevent the intrusion of water. I have left my bike outside work in torrential rain and it was totally dry inside when I opened it later on.
it is lockable
It is well made and fairly rigid.
it is easy to fit to any pannier rack. There are 8 holes inside and you don't necessarily need to use the bolts, you can use cable ties.
it is lightweight
I have cycled 300 miles with the box since I have had it and with cable ties it has remained securely on the back. The latches are still intact.
I can get tons of stuff in there. On my way to work I'll have a pair of shoes, water proofs and tools in there, if I get hot I will cram my cycle jacket in there too.

Negatives with remedies:-
The lock is cheap BUT if it was any better and if anyone really wanted to steal the contents of the box, they could undo the bolts on the box or pannier rack.
My cycle ride is bumpy and bolts always come undone on my bike. I have not used the bolts that come with the box as they would have dropped out long ago. (I have used cable ties through the holes and around the supplied top brackets).
The box needs to be attached a good inch away from the saddle to allow the lid to open, this also shifts the weight with the box is full further back. This makes the rear of the bike pretty heavy, but it is better than a twin pannier as I was always having to ensure that the weight was equal on both sides.
The weight when the box is full will cause the pannier rack to rattle and in turn this will make the bolts on the rack come undone. Ensure these are done up tight and if necessary put cable ties on where the rack joins the seat post area (this part is most prone to coming undone).
The ride can be noisy if there are tools at the bottom of the box.
0Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?